Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2014, 12:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default GeForce GTX 760 4GB artifact problem

6 months ago I bought this card and have only been using it for about 2 months. For the last month I have been getting Artifacts in games, like jagged triangles, also some stuttering and got a BSOD last week. It has been happening on games like Marvel Lego and Battlefield 4. I never had this problem with my old 6950 HD.

I hooked it up myself. Just slid it in and attached the power cables. Even updating won't help

I have read people suggest to turn up the fans, but should I really need to on a new card?

Can someone help me solve this or should I RMA it? Let me know what other info I can give you guys?

Thanks

Windows Pro
i5 2500k
P8P67 Deluxe 3.0
8gig ram
Power 750
SSD

Last edited by TRYER; October 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old October 10, 2014, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

how hot is it getting when you game?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 11, 2014, 04:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Good question. Just played 4 hours of Battlefield 4 and looked at MSI Afterburner and it was throttling between 70 to 100 and about 50 while loading. So I turned up the fan to MAX.I still had a bit of stuttering and a bit of artifacts, but not as bad.

I don't think it being 100 in game, should be right. Do you thing I should replace the card, get more fans or anything?
Old October 12, 2014, 11:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

100 is high

Try removing the card and looking at the fan. If it's covered in dust that could be the problem. You can give it a spin with your finger, is there even a hint of resistance? Could be a bad fan.

Is the computer in a hot environment? Does the case have ample intake and exhaust fans? Are they obstructed?

Failing the above there is always a change the heatsink on the card isn't making good contact (thermal paste) I would take it apart and re-apply but if it's still under warranty and your aren't confident doing that might be best to RMA through the MFG.
Old October 12, 2014, 01:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello_newf View Post
100 is high

Try removing the card and looking at the fan. If it's covered in dust that could be the problem. You can give it a spin with your finger, is there even a hint of resistance? Could be a bad fan.

Is the computer in a hot environment? Does the case have ample intake and exhaust fans? Are they obstructed?

Failing the above there is always a change the heatsink on the card isn't making good contact (thermal paste) I would take it apart and re-apply but if it's still under warranty and your aren't confident doing that might be best to RMA through the MFG.
I second all he said. anything above 80 is a big red flag IMHO.

Make sure your card has air, what kind of case/fans are you using?

An easy thing to try os to fix your fan profile in Afterburner to give it move air under load above 50c.
Old October 12, 2014, 02:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello_newf View Post
100 is high

Thanks for the advice. I just took a blower to my case, because lots of dust in my CPU cooler (Looked like a dust storm). I also checked the fans of the graphics card and the case and all seem to be working fine. And I also reseated my card.

I also asked for help from EVGA and checked my voltage and did a clean install of the drivers. With that my temp is now about 82C. My card is still under warranty and will probably get it replaced if nothing helps out.

I will check out the card again with some BF4 tonight and will get back to you and again thanks for all the advice.
Old October 12, 2014, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYER View Post
Thanks for the advice. I just took a blower to my case, because lots of dust in my CPU cooler (Looked like a dust storm). I also checked the fans of the graphics card and the case and all seem to be working fine. And I also reseated my card.

I also asked for help from EVGA and checked my voltage and did a clean install of the drivers. With that my temp is now about 82C. My card is still under warranty and will probably get it replaced if nothing helps out.

I will check out the card again with some BF4 tonight and will get back to you and again thanks for all the advice.
The only other thing I would suggest is to run with the case side off and a house fan directed towards the open side... if your issue goes away then you may have some kind of issue WRT airflow through your case.
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Screen
Old October 13, 2014, 11:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The only other thing I would suggest is to run with the case side off and a house fan directed towards the open side... if your issue goes away then you may have some kind of issue WRT airflow through your case.
Although I am not considering removing my side panel an adding an ugly and load makeshift fan next to it, extra cooling is a great idea. I will look into that.

In the end, I think I will just RMA it. Thanks for the help guys.
Old October 14, 2014, 05:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYER View Post
Although I am not considering removing my side panel an adding an ugly and load makeshift fan next to it, extra cooling is a great idea. I will look into that.

In the end, I think I will just RMA it. Thanks for the help guys.
Heh... It's not intended as a permanent solution. It's an easy controllable test to either confirm or rule out airflow as a possible cause.
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Screen
Old October 14, 2014, 05:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... It's not intended as a permanent solution. It's an easy controllable test to either confirm or rule out airflow as a possible cause.
This.

And you will get dinged charges if you RMA a working card and still have the same issues when it comes back.

Not to mention being out of a video card for weeks.

15 minutes to check if airflow in your case is nothing VS all that IMHO.