Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2014, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Laptop powers off randomly

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1720 that was sitting a few months after I pulled the SanDisk SSD. The laptop used to work with no issue whatsoever but when I jam in a MyDigitalSSD mSATA to SATA enclosure, it start to shut down randomly. The following were done:

* Set HDD sleep to off
* Reapply thermal paste for CPU and GPU

Now, I'm not sure if the laptop is not compatible with the mSATA enclosure or something else is messing up. Nothing much from the log saying anything crashed but seems like it just lost power. The laptop is plugged in to the power bar. I could put in a regular HDD to test.
Old August 4, 2014, 03:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds if something is shorting out use another adapter

oh thermal paste may be another issue ....re-apply
Old August 4, 2014, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Argh I hate tearing down a laptop because I keep loosing screws! The room is air conditioned so I'm surprised if it's a thermal issue. However, I do notice the time between power off lasted longer after I reapplied the thermal paste. I may not need to worry as I'm getting another hand me down i7 4C/8T laptop in a week or so.