Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2014, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Exclamation SSD equipped system is losing snapiness

I have an issue with both my systems : they have lost some snapiness in the last 6 months.
Both systems are equipped with C2D CPUs, one is a 7300 one is 8600, the mobos are at their latest BIOSes, both equipped with 4 GB of RAM DDR2, one AHCI capable with a Mushkin Callisto 120 GB SATA II SSD, one without AHCI with a Crucial M4 120GB SATA III SSD. Over the last 6 months I noticed a gradual lost of snapiness which is most obvious when I try to delete something from the SSD directly, like small or large files, and when I say small I mean a few MBs like some MP3s or large, a few GBs like some movies. I press delete and it takes a few good 5-6 seconds for them to disappear. Both system had fresh install of win7 with partition deletion and recreation in the setup process, I do keep a 1024MB fixed size swap file on the C drive on both systems. Both drives have approx the same age which would be between 2-3 years, the M4 has the latest firmware also. Is this a known issue? Should I worry? SSD life report on the M4 says perfect health, with some 6 TB written to the drive so far, no info yet on the other system. Any advice?
Old July 13, 2014, 07:08 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Couple issues are going on here.

1) The Callisto is a SandForce based drive. IF its not in a TRIM environment its going to get dog slow. Run TrimCheck and see if its working. IF its not....its never going to get better unless you clean the drive. Do a search for Tony TRIM here for details (just really need to do the first part AS-Clean w/FF option)...but basically you write 0's to all the free cells so that its the same(ish) as virgin(ish)....heavy on the ish. You can try letting it idle for a day or two....but SF drives suck at garbage collection....especially the older gen. With drives so cheap these days...Id replace it before it suddenly dies on you....which the older SF's are apt to do. ;)

2) the M4 128 is old tech so its slow to do ITGC. Sounds to me like it needs more idle time as its not in TRIM either. Run TRIMcheck on it too to confirm.

3) Sounds like you have them filled up to near capacity. Dont do that. These smaller drives dont have as many free cells as bigger drives so you really need to leave 15% or more. Personally when I was using 12xGB class drives in customer builds I turned them into 100GB drives...so that the drive always had 28GB of free NAND to work with. This helps a LOT.

https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 13, 2014, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AkG, thanks a lot!
I ran trimcheck on both systems and the result was : it seems that is working! So after running trimcheck twice on both systems they regained their snapiness, both at deleting files and also at opening large media files!
The SF drive has 77GB free while the M4 around 50GB free. I am freeing about 12 more GB on the M4 and will keep in mind to create just a 100GB partition at next win7 install. Thanks a lot again!
Old July 13, 2014, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Trimcheck sped them up? Nice easy fix.