Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2014, 07:55 PM
Rookie

Default After some time I need some help

Hello again everyone!
Hope you are all having a great week. I wanted to make a quick post with some updates and issues I have ran into, and hopefully I can get things fixed.

Right now my computer is running without overclocking or anything like that, and it is running a little slow and a sluggish.
I had this built a while ago, and when I had it then it generated a little bit of heat, but now it is past hot where it is now uncomfortable (for me!) to have it on during the day.
I cleaned it up the best I could without using compressed air and I manually cleaned each fan and the dust filters, however I have no improved performance.

I took a few pictures
Dirty mobo and I may have no paste left?

dirty fan with what I assume is a terrible fan? possibly my source of my issue.

I am running the stock 200mm front LED and 200MM top fans, with 120mm stock rear fan, and they hardly seem to be pushing the air around.
I do have a spot for a 200mm on the case window pannel, aswell as a 120mm on the bottom of the tower. I could also install intake fans below my optical drive and change the rear 120mm to something of quality.
I have been looking into the noctua's and I think I may go with those if I upgrade.

I am terribly sorry for the long post, I hope to get some kind feedback.

Last edited by PH93; June 22, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old July 1, 2014, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

System vspecks might help, as for the paste clean it off and just use a tiny bit of new paste you only need about the size of a grain of rice, is your air flow any good are there wires blocking the air flow? , if the system is otherwise ok I would just get an after market heat sink , is the heat coming from the CPU or the Motherboard? check for swollen caps
Old July 1, 2014, 08:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
System vspecks might help, as for the paste clean it off and just use a tiny bit of new paste you only need about the size of a grain of rice, is your air flow any good are there wires blocking the air flow? , if the system is otherwise ok I would just get an after market heat sink , is the heat coming from the CPU or the Motherboard? check for swollen caps
When I put my hand inside my case, I don't feel any airflow, even with the fans running. These fans have never been changed. Will any brand of thermal paste work for me?

Are these the vspecks you are mentioning?

XFX Radeon HD5850 HD585XZAFC 725MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.0GHZ 2XDVI HDMI DP
System Model GBLAN motherboard Gigabyte Tech : GA-89OGPA-UDH3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 925 Processor (4 CPUs) ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4069MB RAM
Page File 2488MB used, 5696MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 series -> 5850
PCI-E Video Card (HD-585X-ZAFC
Chip Type: ATI Display Adapter (0x6899)
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
Aprox. Total Memory: 2805MB
Current Display Mode: 1920x1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Acer H243H
Power Supply: Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140mm Fan
Old July 1, 2014, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I Think that the Vid card might have two HDMI one is a mini? I am not sure because I cannot see clearly enough to make out if that is a mini HDMI and a standard HDMI out put on the card
Old July 2, 2014, 02:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

first need to know what motherboard REVISION you have for that model ? GA-89OGPA-UDH3 cos there is 5 different hardware NOTE: Rev links on page, select correct one

but same model # the revision uses different chip vendors so you need to get correct bios

or make a door stop if use the wrong one not matching your Rev:X.XX that's printed on motherboard it self

then proceed to update bios to current , the bios you shown isn't the version but bios brand version

its more to the right on boot screen "Fx"

if handy with ES solder iron then replace hdmi socket ,

Last edited by KaptCrunch; July 2, 2014 at 02:59 AM.
Old July 2, 2014, 07:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I Think that the Vid card might have two HDMI one is a mini? I am not sure because I cannot see clearly enough to make out if that is a mini HDMI and a standard HDMI out put on the card
The port above the Radeon's HDMI connector is a DisplayPort connector. I believe there are DisplayPort to HDMI (or DVI) adapters that you can buy.

I would clean all the old thermal paste off of the CPU and the heatsink using either ArctiClean (Arctic Silver Incorporated - ArctiClean or pure isopropyl alcohol. Then, place a pea-sized amount of fresh thermal paste on the center of the CPU. The fastening pressure of the heatsink will spread the thermal paste out into a thin layer. Practice once to see if you like, just be sure to clean up and apply new paste afterwards.

As for brand of thermal paste, I've always used Arctice Silver 5. I've heard that the Noctua NT-H1 is good with no break-in time.

Fans: dual 200 mm fans should move a lot of air silently. Are they being controlled by software or the motherboard's BIOS or are they directly plugged into the power supply? My son's case had the front 200 as intake and the top 200 as exhaust. I flipped the top one over to provide more positive pressure inside the case and it helped. He also had a rear 120 mm fan for exhaust that I left alone.

Good luck.