Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2014, 01:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default two computers - eventual shutdown

These are not my computers, first of all. So, if I try anything, I'll need to get back to you. :)

I have one of them right now. Both are displaying the same symptoms. They're older AMD and I think they have Sempron processors? I can find out if you need more hardware info. One has a video card, HD Radeon 6450, and I am shopping for a cheap card with hdmi for the other one. That radeon card is low power/low temps, right?

We use Linux mostly but I was curious if there's a good program in Windows for getting output for the power and temps (hardware monitor software). I just want to compare with what Linux provides.

I think it can be anything but so far, I put in (used) a different power supply in each. Except, the one computer is still doing the same thing despite the different power supply. Well, it is actually the same model. :) An Antec 350W.

I don't want to buy anything until I know what the problem is.

Anyway, the symptom is that it either tries to start up and then dies or it runs for a while but eventually shuts down on its own. I was wondering if a fan is faling because I thought I heard some clicking. Most of the connectors were using the molex but I tried connecting the fan headers (3 pin in 4 on the mobo) to see what happens. So, the latest result could have been something related? It seemed the fans (or fan) slowed down but then started up again. Except, it occurred again except this time, everything slowed down eventually and power went off again.

I took out the old PSU and removed the dust. I also tucked cables away. I thought it would have improved air flow but the computer won't last more than 1 min. without shutting down. Probably less.

Any ideas? I'm inclined to think the replaced psu is no good and/or a cpu fan is failing. What should the cpu fan speed be? The 2nd computer is running okay so far but previously, it ran a few days before shutting down on its own. I replaced an Everex psu with a used 400W Seasonic PSU but I hope it will run okay now. Fingers crossed. I can try anything out with the one that is currently not working as I have it at home.
Thanks for any posts and/or ideas.
Old June 27, 2014, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Speccy - System Information - Free Download Windows

Try MoBo Battery ?
Old June 27, 2014, 10:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Maybe see if the HSF is properly seated, along with everything else.

I had a System that was over heating, after having recently installed a new CPU, and while poking around at a fan connector brushed against a HSF pin(s775) and it popped down into place.

Sometimes it's the simple things.
Old June 28, 2014, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have you checked the event logs? Clicking is most often a hard drive failing. Shutdowns like that are usually temp related. You may have multiple issues, I'd check event viewer out first.

Old June 30, 2014, 12:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I took one in to a shop. But, I'm thinking I should just buy a cheapo PSU and see if any boot up and if runs normally? They both have old 20-pin power supplies and I am wondering if they are both failing? Strange that both would cause similar problems or maybe it's plausible? I can't run any tests because neither start now. When the one ran for about 5 days, there were no temps issues except for maybe the gpu although one chip on the mobo (ic217? - can't remember now) seemed to be a high temp. The CPU and motherboard was always around 30 / 35 and not much higher when running for a while.

Both are AM2 motherboards so wonder if it's time to upgrade to a new computer although wasn't planning on investing/replacing yet. :) I guess a new psu can be used or transferred, however.

It was dusty inside with both systems. I think it's time to pursue an air compressor of some sort. Mine is never that bad but I hate buying the cans. Surely, there is a better way.
Old June 30, 2014, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Why bother spend so much time on ancient pieces of junk? :P

So many things can be wrong and if you say they are dusty as they are that means components have probably already gotten to failure points.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What the heck is (an) it8718 chip? Sensors show this as the only high temperature (60 - 63 degrees). In the BIOS and in software, the cpu temps seem okay (low 30s).

Is this computer toast? I am thinking it's overheating but the cpu seems okay unless all these readings are inaccurate. Also, the computer now seems to be warning of a problem. A few times, it has tried to shut down or given the screen to choose reboot/shut down. That seems to indicate a heating/temp problem?

I know these systems are really old but I'd like to know what's wrong and then I can inform the owner. :)
Old July 13, 2014, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try a paint brush(to loosen any dust build-up) and a vacuum cleaner.. Much cheaper if you already have em.

Considering their age and the issues, I'd tell the owners to go to dell / whatever and buy the cheapest new pos they can.. you can't beat the big guys on the ultra-cheap.
Buy second-hand..
If you can't figure it out tell them that..
You can guess at the issue but really the systems are so old that it's not worth your times getting into it further or your at the limit of your knowledge.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"