Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2014, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Default Why does my CD/DVD drive makes weird noise and can't be detected

When i first used the CD/DVD drive to boot my Windows 7 installer, it went perfectly.. I even used it to install all the drivers from the motherboard and video card..

But a few weeks have passed, i wanted to reformat my desktop.. Sadly, when i do try and reboot it.. It makes a lot of weird noise and takes ages to load the windows setup.. Finally, when i get to the setup, it doesn't detect my CD/DVD drive ... So i can't reformat.. :((

Was wondering if anybody has encountered a problem like this?
Old June 3, 2014, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Weird sound as in clicking and grinding? I say your drive is defective.
Old June 3, 2014, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by riou900 View Post
When i first used the CD/DVD drive to boot my Windows 7 installer, it went perfectly.. I even used it to install all the drivers from the motherboard and video card..

But a few weeks have passed, i wanted to reformat my desktop.. Sadly, when i do try and reboot it.. It makes a lot of weird noise and takes ages to load the windows setup.. Finally, when i get to the setup, it doesn't detect my CD/DVD drive ... So i can't reformat.. :((

Was wondering if anybody has encountered a problem like this?
Umm if your hearing noises and windows is taking a long time to boot that is your hard drive.

If it takes a long time to install Windows then it could be the drive. If its LG is crap :P
Old June 3, 2014, 09:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Weird sound as in clicking and grinding? I say your drive is defective.
Yes and NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old June 3, 2014, 09:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Umm if your hearing noises and windows is taking a long time to boot that is your hard drive.

If it takes a long time to install Windows then it could be the drive. If its LG is crap :P
it's Asus CD/DVD drive... ohh well, I'll just have to buy a USB ...

Can't trust CD/DVD drives now even tho it's new..
Old June 4, 2014, 07:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

Rufus + Digital River MS ISO = USB stick for installing Windows. I wouldn't know what to do with a coaster err optical disc anymore.