Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Game locks up computer (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/49473-game-locks-up-computer.html)

foredown December 16, 2011 07:10 AM

Game locks up computer

Recently I'm been have trouble with a couple of games (Killing floor, Battlefield P4F). I can play 10-15min before the computer locks up, sometime the screen will go black sometimes pink and always get this 1 second sound loop.

First thought was gpu, but I can play Crysis 2 or Skyrim all I want without problems. Furmarks quick tests are fine, prime say my cpu is not failing, Memtest ok, btw nothing is overclocked, gpu was underclocked.

Chris December 16, 2011 08:13 AM

What is the gpu temp before it stalls?

Arinoth December 16, 2011 08:14 AM

If you can give us your system specs that would help us out.

Adzsask December 16, 2011 09:09 AM

I was having the same problem for the past few days,it was MSI afterburner applying an unstable overclock when I boot the PC. Resetting MSI's overclock profiles fixed the freeze ups for me.

great_big_abyss December 16, 2011 09:25 AM

Have you by chance removed your CPU heatsink lately? If you have, check your thermal compound. I know I had that problem when I removed my heatsink and didn't reapply thermal compound. My processer would overheat and lock up.

Jebusman December 16, 2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 580532)
Have you by chance removed your CPU heatsink lately? If you have, check your thermal compound. I know I had that problem when I removed my heatsink and didn't reapply thermal compound. My processer would overheat and lock up.

He can play Crysis 2 and Skyrim without it locking up, and Killing Floor isn't that CPU intensive.

I had (arguably still have) the exact same problem running SC1 on a Q6600. It would just randomly lock up with the 1 second sound loop for no reason. Blizz support never figured out it, and neither did I. We just need his system specs.

KaptCrunch December 16, 2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foredown (Post 580485)
Recently I'm been have trouble with a couple of games (Killing floor, Battlefield P4F). I can play 10-15min before the computer locks up, sometime the screen will go black sometimes pink and always get this 1 second sound loop..

how old is moniter ?

are the games current patches applied

also mite be malware/virus run a cleaner

foredown December 16, 2011 11:50 AM

Main specs e6750, 680i, 4gb PC2-8000, 8800gt sli.

Well I just finished playing Battlefield p4f and it didn't lock up this time. This morning I updated to the newer nvidia beta driver and dropped my cpu back to stock and ram down to 800.

foredown December 16, 2011 11:53 AM

malwarebytes and avast come up clean, core temp 23/43, gpu temps hit 68 in furmark

Games patched, Killing floor is on steam and auto updates, Battlefield is also auto updating.

KaptCrunch December 16, 2011 12:46 PM

what PSU have and 12v rail amperes ?