Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2010, 07:50 AM
Top Prospect

Default Galaxy S Too many pattern attempts - $500 paperweight?

Hey, I'm in a really big problem.
My Samsung Galaxy S (I9000M) is locked due to too many unlock pattern attempts, and I can't get back into it
I've tried:

- Using my Gmail account to login
- Using my Gmail account with password "null" to login
- Taking out the battery and SIM card for 10 hours or so
- Calling from another phone and pressing home in the call/hanging up and spamming home (In an attempt to temporarily unlocked, got it from a google search)
- 3-button Hard Reset (Doesn't work, I tried updating the phone with Samsung Kies which is supposedly a fix for the 3-button issue, didn't help)
- Some other random things I can't quite recall

Please help me, because as of now I have a $500 paperweight.
Old September 26, 2010, 07:56 AM
F@H

I believe one of the few ways to unlock it is it take it to your carrier and have them do it for you as they have the software/tools. At least thats what the Bell guy told me when i was looking to buy the phone (bought it from the source as no one else had it in stock)
Old September 26, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, your carrier is supose to be able to do a hard reset. There is an option ( on mine at least ) that let me chose the time of lock and the number of attemp.
Old September 26, 2010, 03:38 PM
Top Prospect

I actually got this second hand but brand new, will my carrier still do this for free?
Old September 26, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're with Bell?

They might, or you can go into recovery mode.

I just tried it with my phone, which is the T-Mobile version, and to enter recovery mode, you have to hold both volume up, down, and the power button until the recovery menu appears. From there, you can delete the user data and wipe your phone.

Good luck!
Old September 26, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I actually got this second hand but brand new, will my carrier still do this for free?
I seriously don't know about that. Keep in mind that they could charge you since it's a user related issue. Best way to know is to go to your local store and ask them.

But only 1 thing before. Try this, seems that it work for many people, they lost all app but no data on the SD card have been lost.

1) contacted Bell and was given a reset key sequence to try. Figured out how to actually use the key sequence. Which is power off the phone. Hold keys at the same time. When the Samsung screen appears release the key (or else you'll end up in a soft power reset loop). This will bring up the boot menu.

2) from the boot menu you can select options to factory reset/clear data (something like that ... its the 3rd option) or clear cache (4th option). This brings you to a menu with a bunch of NO options and a YES option.

3) a dos like sequence scrolled through and brought me back to the first menu.

4) rebooted the phone and ended up at the same uid/pass screen that still wouldn't work.

5) called my phone and was able to get to various menu options. From here I was able to get to a main screen and then select the menu key. Choose Settings, Privacy then Factory Reset.

6) go through the 'are you sure' options

7) phone rebooted and I'm back in business.
Old September 26, 2010, 04:53 PM
Top Prospect

The three button hard reset combination doesn't work on my phone, it's a known issue that I've applied the correct update for and the update didn't fix it. I've tried calling the phone and using that to go to settings to factory reset it as suggested by googling issue, where you call the phone and press the home button to get to the main screen, but I can't do that. I call my phone, and I've tried picking up and pressing home to get to main screen, I get to the uid/pass screen. I've tried calling, hanging up and then spamming home, same uid/pass screen.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Then you will need a factory reset no other option that I know.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect

The thing is, I can't factory reset since I'm locked out of the settings.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty sure that even in the lock-screen, you have access to emergency call. I'm not sure if it works, but maybe try dialing this? *2767*3855#