Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 10:49 AM
Top Prospect

Default ATI Crossfire Issue?

Hello,

I recently inherited a 4850 video card that I want to try and crossfire with my 4870 x2. I've read that it is possible to do this but I am having some issues.

My current system is ASUS P5Q Deluxe mobo, Intel Q9600, 850 Watt PSU, Radeon 4870X2 GPU, display is a 24" BenQ V2400W.

Everything normally works fine but when I seat the second video card and attach it to the 4870X2 via the xfire bridge, I receive a "No signal detected!" from the monitor upon startup. When I remove the card, all is well. When I seat only the 4870X2 or only the 4850 in the blue x16 lane, all is fine as well so the cards are alive. Only when both cards are on the mobo at the same time do I receive this "No signal detected". Connection is via DVI-HDMI, plugging into the back of the 4870X2. I am probably missing a step so thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Old June 6, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofJubei View Post
Hello,

I recently inherited a 4850 video card that I want to try and crossfire with my 4870 x2. I've read that it is possible to do this but I am having some issues.

My current system is ASUS P5Q Deluxe mobo, Intel Q9600, 850 Watt PSU, Radeon 4870X2 GPU, display is a 24" BenQ V2400W.

Everything normally works fine but when I seat the second video card and attach it to the 4870X2 via the xfire bridge, I receive a "No signal detected!" from the monitor upon startup. When I remove the card, all is well. When I seat only the 4870X2 or only the 4850 in the blue x16 lane, all is fine as well so the cards are alive. Only when both cards are on the mobo at the same time do I receive this "No signal detected". Connection is via DVI-HDMI, plugging into the back of the 4870X2. I am probably missing a step so thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Go through all the ports on your video cards. When I did my quadfire 4870x2, I had to plug into the card in the second slot to get any signal.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 6, 2010, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect

Update:

After leaving my computer on I just decided to type in my vista password and windows booted up and the desktop was displayed, however it was acting as if there were two monitors and I couldn't see any of my icons or applications or anything as it was all loading on an invisible monitor. I plugged a second monitor into the 4850 card and I can see everything now and the ATI CCC loads up asking me to enable crossfire. When I checkmark it to do so, the screen flashes and then the checkmark disappears as though nothing has happened. It identifies both video cards in ATI overdrive but they are attached to two different displays. When I deactivate the second display in display settings, the second video card also disappears. I'm even more confused than I was before...
Old June 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

Update #2:

I think I have crossfire working now at the moment as I had a score increase on 3Dmark of 2000 points so hopefully that is resolved. However I am still having the strange issue being that when the computer is starting up or I reset, I receive a "no signal detected" message on the BenQ V2400W monitor until the windows logo comes up and then everything is fine. This leads me to believe that it's an issue in the bios stage since everything in windows is working fine as far as I can tell so no driver issues. I've never encountered this issue before and am having trouble finding any info about it googling around. Any suggestions?
Old June 6, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't see you mention you tried what I said. I had the same issue (video only appearing at the Windowns login screen) that was fixed by plugging the monitor into the card in the second slot.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 6, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a clock issue with the 4870X2 clocking down to match a 4850 in trifire? Or maybe it was a driver support issue? I can't remember exactly what the issue is, but I seem to recall this set up being a problem for some people.

Besides that, I'm baffled why you'd want to trifire a 4850 in since this would chop the legs out from under your 4870X2 by severely downgrading it to match speeds with the 4850 depending on the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
I didn't see you mention you tried what I said. I had the same issue (video only appearing at the Windowns login screen) that was fixed by plugging the monitor into the card in the second slot.
He did mention that he plugged a second monitor in to the 4850 and it seemed to function like a dual monitor setup. Which leads me to believe that Xfire isn't working with this, and that it is just that; a dual monitor (duplicate desktop) setup. That would explain why the second card only kicks in after the Windows log in. And perhaps the increased 3D Mark score comes from a shared PhysX load?

Last edited by Caldezar; June 6, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old June 7, 2010, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

I tried out plugging it into the other slots on both cards and still no signal displayed. I only receive picture if the second card is not in the slot at all and I use only one card. I honestly can't figure it out. Both devices display in device manager and the driver seems to be working fine.

I took everything apart and reseated everything including CPU but no luck. System works perfectly fine otherwise. Maybe the 4850 and 4870x2 have issues working together. ATI website says they are compatable, just not "perfect match". Both cards work fine on their own. It's strange to me for sure!

While I had them together I tried out a few benchmarks and a game (Company of Heroes)...benchmarks scored higher with both cards in while the game only received a 3-4 fps boost but I'm still not positive crossfire was active or working properly. I think maybe you're right, probably better just to leave the 4850 out. Seems like a waste of a good card though

Also I should note that I did manage to get them both on one monitor finally. I would say what I did but honestly I don't remember, I think it was just a stroke of luck and a quick reset of the computer and it seemed to load on one monitor.

Thanks for your help! I'll check back in a while to see if anyone has any other ideas