Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
there is many guide out here ad help of other forum member to tell him how to apply tim correctly. There is no reason if you read a little to do it wrong. He also don't have to remove the CPU, only remove the HSF,clean everything, put new thermal paste and put it back again. The only thing that have to be watched is that the CPU don't stick to the HSF when you pull it could bend some pin. But that's easy to prevent if you ask how to do it right:)
I agree with martin, don't fear the technology. resetting a cpu heatsink is one of the easiest things to do and if you are that much of a doofus then you shouldn't even post here. Run, do not walk to your nearest computer service center.

Old June 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Make sure your CPU heatsink fan is working. A friend's PC temps went up just like yours and the stock fan had died.
Old June 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
HaDeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
. The only thing that have to be watched is that the CPU don't stick to the HSF when you pull it could bend some pin. But that's easy to prevent if you ask how to do it right:)

Easy trick for that... heat up the cpu for an hour... then remove the heat-sink-fan carefully by twisting slowly instead of pulling. Oringinal posts here about having someone do it or have someone SHOW you how to do it should be considered 1st. Makes no sense to ruin a perfectly good computer making rookie mistakes. Point of reference: Friend googled replacing the TIM and came home with thermal epoxy instead... I don't have to finish that story.

I'm gonna bet money that HSF is glued to that cpu after 2 years.
Old June 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how to apply thermal grease - Google Search

YouTube - how to remove heatsink
Old June 4, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Oringinal posts here about having someone do it or have someone SHOW you how to do it should be considered 1st. Makes no sense to ruin a perfectly good computer making rookie mistakes. Point of reference: Friend googled replacing the TIM and came home with thermal epoxy instead... I don't have to finish that story.
Lol, point taken. I assume that people who have a computer would know how to use search engines to get info on their own and be capable of going to a brick and mortar service center for advice. Unfortunately you cannot stop people from making mistakes 100% of the time, I call it the "school of hard knocks" Apologies to the OP for not going into more detail.