Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2010, 05:18 PM
Rookie

gasp I am running out of ideas...could I possible have a dead drive? What are the chances of having a hard drive DOA?
Old May 18, 2010, 05:35 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsblood View Post
gasp I am running out of ideas...could I possible have a dead drive? What are the chances of having a hard drive DOA?
Doubt that it's the drive. Did you try to reformat?

You could also post or search here at the Microsoft forum for "Install, Upgrade and Activate Forum"

Install, Upgrade and Activate Forum
Old May 18, 2010, 07:41 PM
Rookie

no, this is a new computer so completely black hard drive...

oh quick question.. seems that my asus board came with 6gb/s cables...I don't know if that has anything to do with it but is there a difference between sata3 and sata2 cables?
Old May 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had a similar problem. Try using UBCD. I think I used drivewipe 3.1 under HD tools. Try installing W7 again but format the drive first. UBCD is a handy disc to have.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old May 18, 2010, 11:47 PM
Rookie

I give up, tomorrow I will get an exchange on the hard drive at NCIX and see how it goes from there.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've always had problems installing windows (especially win7) on AMD systems. I'm not sure why, but it slows down so much when I install on AMD. I've never had a problem with Intel, it installs swift and speedy.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Your not alone demonsblood. I get the same error , but on a completely different system. I have an Adaptec raid card and I can access the cards bios and create two groups with no problem. But when I try to install win7 no go. Same stopping point as you. I have removed the raid card and built a raid system using the mobo’s raid software with no problem. I will try contacting Adaptec or M$ and will get back with any successes. But since there is a great pool on knowledge in this forum any ideas would be appreciated. This is my first post and after looking at a lot of forums I came to the conclusion that this is by far the best , which means it has the best people because it’s people that makes the forum. My system specs at the moment are: PS = Corsair 1000 watt Mobo = ASUS P6X58D Premium Mem = Corsair 1866 3 gigs HD = 3 x WD Velocirapters 150 gb 3 x WD Blacks 1.0 tb Raid = Adaptec 5803 CD Rom connected to mobo. Proc = I7 Vid = ATI 4870 Thanks for being the best. bgf
Old May 31, 2010, 07:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Windows 7 must have the 100mb patition for system files, you cant put everything in one partition, its different than vista and xp, basically you have to delete the 100mb partition you created with the first install, and start over from scratch, if you are trying to do a windows "upgrade" over and existing copy of windows it wont automatically delete that 100mb partition cuz it is an existing partition of copyrighted system files, cough***, and basically windows WONT install becuz of the wrong version system files in that partition, goodluck... you may have wipe that disk clean for windows 7 to install since only "one" partition of 100mb system files is allowed per harddrive, like for instance, i have xp-64, vista 64, and 7-64 all on the same drive, but the 100mb system partition is windows 7, must be the most current version for it to accept the install of the os, once you figure it out its awesome actually, i can run all 3 operating systems via eyefinity if i want. from the same drive, gotta love multiple cpu cores
Old June 1, 2010, 04:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Found the Answer

When the window opens that asks for you to select the partition you want to put win 7 on. In the lower right is “Advanced Options” click it and then I deleted both the 100 mb and the 450 mg partitions (3 x 150 gb drives). Clicked ok and win 7 loaded normally. bgf