Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Dead HDD.....

My Maxtor Diamondmax 21 200GB IDE drive just kicked the bucket randomly. I took my PC apart to clean it and was running it open bench when it started on "fire" when I turned the PC on. A little component on the logic board was red hot, and it let out some white powder of some sort. It goes without saying the drive doesn't work anymore. What I want to know is....

A. Can I just replace the logic board? Or do you think it also resulted in a head crash?
B. What was the component that died exactly? (name? eg. capacitor, resistor...)
C. Anyone got a spare drive of the same, STM3200820A firmware 3.AAE
D. If it is toast, how do I go about data recovery? It's still in warranty but AFAIK they don't cover data recovery.

Here's a pic of the little bastard.

Damn you, damn you!!!! I was just about to back up the day before but after seeing it would take over 30 DVD's and I don't have any other HDD's I never have bothered. The only mission critical data on there are some pics, and some of my games would be nice.... I don't want to have to DL a lot all over again and I have also lost some of my game boxes, disks and keys.... anyone have any ideas?
Old November 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
Banned
F@H

very sad .. it's look like a power regulator or diode ... it's an IDE drive. what can have cause that it's an unplug molex that touch the board... if so warranty will be void
Old November 15, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It was placed logic-board side down, so it was protected from any wandering molex cables. I figure it may have something to do with the fact I forgot to plug it in at first then restarted the PC shortly after I plugged it in.
Old November 15, 2009, 06:25 PM
Rookie

Wait so you plugged it in a short while after your PC started?
Old November 15, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No I turned it off first then plugged it in and restarted it a couple of seconds after. Should I have waited longer?
Old November 15, 2009, 06:37 PM
Banned
F@H

it can be an overload short motor , especially when starting, changing the board will not solve the problem... if I was you I will shop for an other drive and take it as a lesson BACKUP next time no excuse.
Old November 15, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think I'll try to get another logic board (it should be $50 or so, nothing compared to a $500-2000 repair). Failing that, I may consider sending it somewhere.... does insurance cover anything like that?
Old November 15, 2009, 07:08 PM
Banned
F@H

what do you means by that

" I took my PC apart to clean it and was running it open bench when it started on "fire" when I turned the PC on. "

so the hard drive and other pc parts was laying on a bench ?
Old November 15, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It was on a table with a glass top. On a much, much, much, much happier note I have been told it was a TVS that broke, a fuse of sorts. All I need to do is find out what type of TVS it is (I have to clean it off and use a magnifying glass) and then order one and solder it on. Yay! That's a super easy, and really, really, really cheap fix! My day is saved.
Old November 15, 2009, 08:18 PM
Banned
F@H

so you was ready to claim the insurance company because of your own mistake... a TVS is a surge protector... 2 things may have happen
1- you hot plug the drive
2- you create a electrostatic discharge.. a HD on glass table ? do you know that a computer case is your best protection....