Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2009, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default computer is freezing before it starts into windows.

i woke up a couple days ago to my computer freezing during the startup process, it has not booted into windows since, it freezes befor i cna tell it to go into safe mode, or after the "press any key to boot from cd" but befor anything else, it freezes booting into the windows cd, if it decideds to go past the boot from cd screen, when i choose to repair the windows startup... it freezes when its loading, usualy in the first 25%. that is the problem, this is what i have tried to fix it, i have reset my cmos, nothing changed, i have tried switching dvd drives, i have tried unpluging my disk drive that is nown to mess up my boot process. i talked to a guy at a computer repair shop and he told me to try reseting the cmios, and if it is not that it might be my psu, now my questions to you guys is what might i have missed and could it be my psu. thanks to all who can help.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have another hard drive to test it out on? That'd be my first guess. Also remove any OC if you have one.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no overclocks and i have raid setup as my boot, but as i said i cant even get into the windows cd to try a new install.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, just wondering if it's one of the drives. Raid 0? If you have an older drive to try that might be a good place to start.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i will try the drive from the computer im on now. gota uninstall the nvidia drivers first.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

bad ram.

what does memtest86 tell you?
Old November 15, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ram was tested a couple weekes ago and it was fine.
Old November 15, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't necessarily see that as being ruled out if the problem just happened in the last couple of days....
Old November 15, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm with the ram camp myself but there is an easy way to figure it out.

Just remove all but one stick of ram, see if there is any difference. If not then try another stick of ram, if again everything is the same then you can safely say that memory is not the cause.

If you are worried about it being the drives then just unplug your hard drives, any and all of them. Then try booting to the CD again you should be able to get right to the point of selecting a drive, if there is an error with one of your drives that is.

https://www.evga.com/associates/defa...CUV5OY6FY0U02O
Old November 15, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well my raid confige finaly showed there was something wrong with it so i disabled raid installed windows and now im writing this message on my pc. im glad its only going to be one week till i upgrade to p55 and i7.