Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2009, 05:25 PM
Rookie

Default Water damaged computer

My computer was completely spaked due a major leak in my house.
The insurance company wants the system to be tested.

Assuming it is working once dried or that they replace one faulty component like the mobo, would you trust the system in the long term ? I'm wondering about other parts failing in the mid or long term.

Anybody with a similar experience ?
Old October 18, 2009, 05:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are we talking submerged in water, or might have been in contact with water from sprinklers?

If it were me, I'd run a 24hr sytem stress test, as well as a long (I'd probably go 24 hrs as well) gfx stress test.

If it's possible that some components were actually submerged, or exposed to more than just "dampness", I'd be concerned about things with bearings (any and all fans).
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Monitor
Old October 18, 2009, 05:40 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be really concerned with HDDs.

Was it started when the flooding happened?
Old October 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
Rookie

[quote=sswilson;273485]Are we talking submerged in water, or might have been in contact with water from sprinklers?

In between. Imagine your system under a light rain for a couple of hours.
Old October 18, 2009, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I'd be really concerned with HDDs.

Was it started when the flooding happened?

It was probably in stand by mode when it happened.
I took out the HDD, let it dry for 24 hours (using a big air blower)

I put it as a slave in an another computer and was able to read and recover the data.
I'm just wondering if it's only temporary
Old October 18, 2009, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would tell your insurance company to handle it like a Water Damaged Car. They are written off because it is too dangerous with electrical faults causing fires etc... I would say to them that you do not feel safe with an electrical component that has been damaged by water.

That being said, if you can't get away with that then like they said above give it a full stress test, and put a couple of those silica packages in there to help pick up any residual moisture.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 18, 2009, 07:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You mean you cannot make it fail after you recovered the data? You are just too honest. Insurance companies have no hearts. So, screw it as much as possible.
I been screwed by them 2 times. The third time happens, I'll know what to do.
Old October 18, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You mean you cannot make it fail after you recovered the data? You are just too honest. Insurance companies have no hearts. So, screw it as much as possible.
I been screwed by them 2 times. The third time happens, I'll know what to do.
I agree. Bud you can test it and you might get a "all ok". But 2 weeks from now who knows.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have no experience here but I wouldn't trust it.
Did the insurance company designate someone to do the system testing or do you have to do it yourself? If someone else is doing it, I'd fire up the system with the side panel off and hose it down until it quit working before they get a hold of it. Make them replace the whole thing. You'll likely get a better machine then what you had to begin with.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I would tell your insurance company to handle it like a Water Damaged Car. They are written off because it is too dangerous with electrical faults causing fires etc... I would say to them that you do not feel safe with an electrical component that has been damaged by water.

That being said, if you can't get away with that then like they said above give it a full stress test, and put a couple of those silica packages in there to help pick up any residual moisture.

Regards,
ST
I agree. Insurance companies want to charge the highest premiums possible and pay out the least amount possible. Tell your insurance company that you don't feel safe using a water damaged computer and come back to them in the future with a fire AND water damage claim because your pc caught fire. If they won't comply, simply and politely suggest that you will be shopping around for a different insurance company. This will usually get their attention if you have been insured with them for quite some time.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)