Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Sharp Aquos LC42D64U and HD4870 Problems

I've been trying to help out my friend hooking up an HDTV (LC42D64U) to his HD4870 card but have been unsuccessful. Here is what he wants to do, and conditions as well. Perhaps you guys can enlighten me.

1) A Samsung 206BW is his main display, which is near his computer.
2) The Sharp HDTV is downstairs, connected via HDMI.
3) The HDTV will be a secondary, connected in clone view.

The problem is, even with forcing a resolution on his TV, nothing shows up. The 206BW is capable of 1680x1050, while the HDTV is capable of 1920x1080. Is that a problem to connect in clone view? Does clone view not like displays of different resolutions? Does the HDMI cable from the computer have to be in a certain input on the TV?

Basically what he wants to do is if he's downstairs, he doesn't want to have to go all the way upstairs to check his email, but just check his email by changing the input on his TV. Ugh it's been frustrating for both of us because his older Nvidia card worked, but it never scaled properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I tried searching here but I got lost. Perhaps it may have something to do with the TV as well. Thanks!
Old July 25, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
The problem is, even with forcing a resolution on his TV, nothing shows up. The 206BW is capable of 1680x1050, while the HDTV is capable of 1920x1080. Is that a problem to connect in clone view? Does clone view not like displays of different resolutions? Does the HDMI cable from the computer have to be in a certain input on the TV?
DING DING DING! we got a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Basically what he wants to do is if he's downstairs, he doesn't want to have to go all the way upstairs to check his email, but just check his email by changing the input on his TV. Ugh it's been frustrating for both of us because his older Nvidia card worked, but it never scaled properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I tried searching here but I got lost. Perhaps it may have something to do with the TV as well. Thanks!
If I had to guess, cloning is better supported in nVidia drivers, which is funny since ATi drivers often times support TV's strange modes much better than nVidia drivers.

Unfortunitly I don't have an answer for you, but I hope I've narrowed it down a bit.

However, not the solution your looking for, but you could simply set it up as a separate display and then set up widgets/gadgets on the screen to always show "quick" information such as new emails and such.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

have you checked the sharp TV's firmware version current is 1.18

i had to do my 46" sharp to get a clear desktop via flash stick