What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Raspberry Pi 5

Shadowmeph

I am wondering if anyone owns one of these and it so how smooth is it for daily web browsing and also as a media system.

When the Raspi 3 came out I was a little excited, so I bought one, but it barely was able to run libreelec smooth in 1080p , so when Raspi 4 4gb came out watching a few reviews I thought great now it will be good so I bought two one used to run the Kodi OS which the raspi 3 and 4( 4 gb) are just ok with, there is some shuddering and freezing at times , I wasn't happy at all with the standard OS similar to linux basic os to use for web browser and some Youtube videos it is pretty bad, stuttering and freezing almost the same as the earlier pi3 . the pi4 4gb barely could run any youtube vids at 1080p in a web browsers single tab, so those plans went out the window .
The pi5 I really want to believe could handle it and even replace my media desktop I use, so I could run two monitors one 4k and the other 1080p have kodi running on the 4k and the other for my daily web browsers and youtube videos I watch, also have my 8TB hddrive plugged into with one of my smaller m.2drives for the OS, but I really doubt that this would be able to do that . When the pi4 4gb came out there was a lot of hype how it could handle such basic stuff and I believed it spent 400CAD on kits and stuff for both pi4s and well I was very disappointed more in myself because part of me doubted it, but I wanted to believe in the hype lol if it can do such a thing this would drop my electric bill

sswilson

Staff member
Is there really a budget based use case for an R Pi? You can buy a fully outfitted N95/100 mini PC for Sub - $200 (closer to $150 if you catch one of the frequent sales).

Once you throw in Power supply, case, and storage on an R Pi are you really any further ahead?

Shadowmeph

Is there really a budget based use case for an R Pi? You can buy a fully outfitted N95/100 mini PC for Sub - $200 (closer to $150 if you catch one of the frequent sales).

Once you throw in Power supply, case, and storage on an R Pi are you really any further ahead?
it is more about electricity usage I called my bchydro and was speaking with them, and apparently I am using 40% more electricity when compared to last year, it is probably my gaming. but I also have my 5600x system that is now always on torrenting and as a media ( kodi) and browsing youtube watching PC . I used to just have my laptop plugged in a few yrs back with adapters for bot hTVs and a hub for the multiply HDs and such but now my one TV is 4k which is used for kodi . Ithink that I will have my Meioda main PC set to sleep after say an hour of no usage to see if that changes anything .
I also think that I am comparing my bills from a few yers back with my main using the above laptop set up adn a rapi3 running libreelec which ran ok most times for watching vids off of the laptop but again nnow I have my 4k tv I would rather have that 4k

Izerous

Folding Team
I saw this earlier today...
Even with my electric prices I'd be looking at under $1/day running that 24h a day non-stop.

So it might be worth picking up a killawatt or something similar and taking a rough measurement of what your actually drawing from the wall. Some of the new larger TV's actually draw quite a bit of power etc. It might be something else entirely drawing the power.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
@Shadowmeph i used to have a 5600x Nas 2x 8TB hdds for my first foray into hosting my files. i replaced it with the Synology but then we had that grow op or mining farm in basement which hosed the power statistics i was trying to follow. recently we added a 85" tv to living room havent heard any issues but i suppose anything is lower then the sudden spikes that the basement suit guy was doing in comparison lol.

Shadowmeph

@Shadowmeph i used to have a 5600x Nas 2x 8TB hdds for my first foray into hosting my files. i replaced it with the Synology but then we had that grow op or mining farm in basement which hosed the power statistics i was trying to follow. recently we added a 85" tv to living room havent heard any issues but i suppose anything is lower then the sudden spikes that the basement suit guy was doing in comparison lol.
ya a grow up definitely increases electricity

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i had tried this with the 5700g but couldnt find a proper way to navigate the os. i had setup xbm launcher on win10 which worked somewhat but didnt work well. had to make it wifey accessible and the Nvidia shield was the only thing she could use comfortably without issue.

djbrad

In the bedroom, I installed Kodi on a fire tv 4x max, it plays h265 10b no problem. It may cost less than the RPI5?

Casual torrenting could be done on the router if it supports it.

While evaluating all scenarios, how about enabling eco mode on the 5600x?

Should be easy to turn on and off for gaming which ryzen master.