What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Level 3+ Self Driving Banned in BC

moocow

So effectively Apr 5, 2024, no one is allow to operate a SAE autonomy rated Level 3+ vehicle. From the article, I think it's both actual driving a car with Level 3 regardless of which mode it is in and letting said car to run around in BC without a person. Penalty of $2K CAD and/or prison time of 6 months if caught with 3 points added to their license. Since Tesla is Level 2, those are still legal to use.

@Admins, move this to OT if deem appropriate.

clshades

So effectively Apr 5, 2024, no one is allow to operate a SAE autonomy rated Level 3+ vehicle. From the article, I think it's both actual driving a car with Level 3 regardless of which mode it is in and letting said car to run around in BC without a person. Penalty of $2K CAD and/or prison time of 6 months if caught with 3 points added to their license. Since Tesla is Level 2, those are still legal to use.

@Admins, move this to OT if deem appropriate.

The Jetson's life delayed again dammit. No lan parties when I drive to Vancouver...

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
We trust computers with Nuclear power plants, space shuttles, banking, and just about every other aspect of our lives, yet I expect 78 year Old Miss Daisy in her F350 she cant see over the steeringwheel to do a better job on the road?

Holy fuck. The sooner manual driving is outlawed, the better. This is so back-asswards.

moocow

who makes Lvl 3+ vehicles that are / were in BC? what happens to someone with one? obviously no grandfathering...so what then? buyback or confiscation?
I believe Honda and Benz have Level 3 but none of them are available in Canada.
We trust computers with Nuclear power plants, space shuttles, banking, and just about every other aspect of our lives, yet I expect 78 year Old Miss Daisy in her F350 she cant see over the steeringwheel to do a better job on the road?

Holy fuck. The sooner manual driving is outlawed, the better. This is so back-asswards.
The problem is that no one have figure out how to replicate how human handles dynamic situation at the moment. Don't think we will get to Johnny Cab level in the original Total Recall anytime soon.

Lysrin

I believe Honda and Benz have Level 3 but none of them are available in Canada.

The problem is that no one have figure out how to replicate how human handles dynamic situation at the moment. Don't think we will get to Johnny Cab level in the original Total Recall anytime soon.
There's also the whole ethics side of self driving vehicle's "choices" that is a very interesting field. The mechanics of basic driving is great and I'd love to have that. Do something else on the commute to work? Awesome.

But what about a scenario like a young child runs out in front of the car and there isn't sufficient time to brake. Next best option is to avoid by diverting to the sidewalk, however there is a senior citizen (or any other person for that matter) who is at high likelihood of being hit if that action is taken. Swerving into oncoming traffic is likely not an option because the system should prioritize occupant safety at some level...

Anyway, very interesting field. A human driver wouldn't make all the right decisions either, but once you try to code that decision-making process as a set of rules it becomes complicated (understatement). As I understand Google was putting a lot of brain power into this stuff at one point. I haven't followed it lately.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
We automate almost every aspect of our lives possible, because it is more efficient, and safer. Driving is no different.

But what about a scenario like a young child runs out in front of the car and there isn't sufficient time to brake. Next best option is to avoid by diverting to the sidewalk, however there is a senior citizen (or any other person for that matter) who is at high likelihood of being hit if that action is taken. Swerving into oncoming traffic is likely not an option because the system should prioritize occupant safety at some level...

If you think 79 year old Mrs. Daisy or 22 year old talking on his cell phone Travis, or Road Raging Carl in his lifted pickup can do that better than a computer...I'd love to drive on the roads you do :LOL: cause you're clearly not driving in Edmonton!

Every argument about why a human should have 100% control of a vehicle breaks down quickly based off of exactly that same 'human factor decision making'. It assumes the driver is 100% paying attention and able to make perfect decisions. But the actual fact is that 99% of the people out there arn't driving in full control of their vehicle, either via distraction or because they're simply a terrible driver making terrible decisions and couldnt process your scenario.

Lysrin

We automate almost every aspect of our lives possible, because it is more efficient, and safer. Driving is no different.

If you think 79 year old Mrs. Daisy or 22 year old talking on his cell phone Travis, or Road Raging Carl in his lifted pickup can do that better than a computer...I'd love to drive on the roads you do :LOL: cause you're clearly not driving in Edmonton!

Every argument about why a human should have 100% control of a vehicle breaks down quickly based off of exactly that same 'human factor decision making'. It assumes the driver is 100% paying attention and able to make perfect decisions. But the actual fact is that 99% of the people out there arn't driving in full control of their vehicle, either via distraction or because they're simply a terrible driver making terrible decisions and couldnt process your scenario.
Yes, for sure. That's why I said "A human driver wouldn't make all the right decisions either". I just find the various considerations required to be interesting, and people who legislate this stuff will hold the driving AI to a much higher standard than we hold the average driver to clearly! Humans don't make sense in a lot of things we do...

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

well...Albertan drivers do have a reputation for being bad. they don't know what to do with turns and curves!

crazyea

There's also the whole ethics side of self driving vehicle's "choices" that is a very interesting field. The mechanics of basic driving is great and I'd love to have that. Do something else on the commute to work? Awesome.

Anyway, very interesting field. A human driver wouldn't make all the right decisions either, but once you try to code that decision-making process as a set of rules it becomes complicated (understatement). As I understand Google was putting a lot of brain power into this stuff at one point. I haven't followed it lately.
These self driving cars have so many sensors and cameras that it's most likely alread going to see practically everything around it and has already calculated for the likelyhood of that child just running into traffic and has most likely planned several scenarios for avoiding it.

Latest posts