Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2019, 09:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default M.2 SATA better than 2.5" SATA?

When I was shopping for a M.2 driver, a CC salesperson said that a m.2 SATA SSD drive is more quality than a regular 2.5" SSD SATA.

I dont believe that. Just SATA SSD in a different form factor. I would think physically handling a m.2 would be more delicate.
HTPC/Server: See "My System Specs". I also use it to virtualize an instance of Windows to my mobile devices.
Graphics Designer and Tech Journalist @ www.RealHardwareReviews.com ID: eyetrance
Old April 8, 2019, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I like the M.2 just because you don't need extra power/data cables. Makes for a quicker/cleaner build. Other than that, they are pretty much the same thing.

Corsair Obsidian 500D
Asus X99-E WS/USB3.1
i7-5820K @4.4GHZ
RTX 2070
4x4GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W GOLD
960GB ADATA SX8200 NVME
HP OMEN 32 1440p 75hz

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK Vector RTX2080 FC, EK Coolstream XT 220 Rad, MCR320 Rad, EK-XTOP SPC-60 Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res
Old April 8, 2019, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmehereajax View Post
a CC salesperson said that a m.2 SATA SSD drive is more quality than a regular 2.5" SSD SATA.
You should report that douchebag !!!
Old April 8, 2019, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

well, the CC person is partially right, but they didn't justify their statement.

M.2 is better in several ways:
1) smaller/simpler form factor
2) no unnecessary cables
3) can be up to 6x faster than a SATA SSD

some disadvantages to M.2:
1) has a small price premium over SATA drives
2) the M.2 standard is a bit fractured, as there are three options with different levels of performance (SATA, x2 and x4)

so M.2 may be advantageous depending on your intended use, budget and current PC platform.
Old April 8, 2019, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wow sounds like an idiot car sales person that doesn't understand cars at all (reminds me of this lady sales person at BMW that say 1 series don't use a LSD because it's old tech yet the M3 and M5 have them). Different properties != better quality. In terms of M.2 SATA vs cable SATA of the same drive, there's no or little performance difference and comes purely down to physical attributes, as pointed out by Friendly. The only reason to go M.2 SATA is either you can get it for cheap and put it in a case (I did it) or you have a platform that actually takes M.2 SATA only like some laptops. Yes, the M.2 standard can be confusing but investing in some reading can easily fix that (or ask questions here). If your board can take M.2 format NVME drives, go that route if you can afford it.
Old April 8, 2019, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just like you getting upsold for no reason on the 970, this is also complete horseshit from a person who wants you to spend the most money there. The people at Canada Computers might know some stuff but you can't take it as gospel. Moocow hit the nail on the head already though.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old April 8, 2019, 11:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I've used the M.2 version of the Crucial MX500 in some builds I did for my brothers work. It was only because I didn't want to bother mounting a 2.5" drive and running SATA cables/power Cost was pretty much the same. Offers no performance benefit though as they're both SATA limited.

And yeah, I'll echo what other's have said, there's usually at least 1 knowledgeable person at a CC, but the rest just like to push the brands they like (or maybe told to). You're better off looking up reviews and such on your phone while your in the store and make your own informed decision.
Old April 8, 2019, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

If he left out that it is M.2 (4x) NVME SATA then it's faster than any 2.5" SATA.
Old April 8, 2019, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

There is no NVME SATA. A M.2 drive is either NVME or SATA. The M.2 socket may support both but the drive is either NVME or SATA and there is a performance difference between the 2 protocol.

Quote:
M.2 SSD Protocol

M.2 Module offers various protocols to the attached component. For Solid State Drives, currently there are two widely used protocols: SATA 3.0 and PCIe NVME. Before purchasing an M.2 SSD, please check with the motherboard or computer manufacturer for M.2 connector compatibility.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas...lang=en&p=1800
Old April 8, 2019, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Reading your posts makes me feel frustrated with the lack of knowledge people have of products they sell.

The worst I have seen was a guy at staples talking about why a celeron based laptop was better than an i5...apparently it was because it had way more gigabytes (32gb vs 8gb). Little did he even know that he was comparing storage to ram.....