Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2019, 01:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

SATA is SATA. Its being routed through the exact same PCH regardless of form-factor. Its not like the older PCIe addin card form-factor based SATA models... which had their own controller and PCIE bridge controller on the board to boost seq performance. ;)

IMHO I would recommend a 2.5'inch over M.2 SATA form-factor for two reasons. Firstly cooling. hdd drives get good air flow in most cases. M.2 ports do NOT. Secondly... using SATA is a waste of a M.2 port. ;)

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 9, 2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old April 9, 2019, 02:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Reading your posts makes me feel frustrated with the lack of knowledge people have of products they sell.
Some places are definitely worse than others. Some of the lines I have heard fed to people over the years at BestBuy for example are cring worthy. I have to give some credit to the people at MemEx though for the times I have been there I have not heard anything cringe worthy from a sales person, even seen them say you don't need that $800 video card for what your asking about this $400 card is more than sufficient for your given task, or I don't actually know hey [insert name here] can you help me with this customers question.

Or the current generation Frontier has two glove boxes... on Frontier specific forums people hadn't realized it for over 6 months or even a year, or how there are "hidden" flaps in the sun visors. But the sales people don't even know about some of these things so they don't show it to the customer.
Old April 9, 2019, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If going M.2..NVMe provided you have the Mobo and Budget.

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691

Old April 10, 2019, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
If going M.2..NVMe provided you have the Mobo and Budget.
quoted for truth!

if your motherboard supports NVMe SSD's, then get one over the SATA variant for sure!