Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2019, 01:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cloning NVMe drive with multiple partitions

So I've found myself running out of room on my boot SSD on my Alienware. I want to clone the OEM NVMe drive to my new HP EX drive I've got while preserving the Dell recovery partitions etc. I'm able to have both drives operating at once in my laptop. The 2nd m2 slot is slower and my new drive is much faster than the Toshiba otherwise I'd keep both in there.

Suggestions for software to do so? Free preferably.....
Old January 13, 2019, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

easeUS todo back up its free for home use and works great so far

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/
Old January 13, 2019, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Clonezilla & AOMEI partition assistant to move the recovery partition(s) to the end.
Old January 13, 2019, 11:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried Clonezilla first (because I use Filezilla regularly at work, I liked the name) but caught errors I think were due to secure boot in the Alienware BIOS. Easeus Todo cloned the drive for me easily. Then I used the AOMEI Partition Assistant to move the recovery partitions to the end of the drive and resized the OS partition. I think Partition Assistant probably would have cloned it for me too if I'd tried it first......
Old January 14, 2019, 04:38 AM
Top Prospect

Macrium reflect should do the job also.
Old January 14, 2019, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried Clonezilla first (because I use Filezilla regularly at work, I liked the name) but caught errors I think were due to secure boot in the Alienware BIOS. Easeus Todo cloned the drive for me easily. Then I used the AOMEI Partition Assistant to move the recovery partitions to the end of the drive and resized the OS partition. I think Partition Assistant probably would have cloned it for me too if I'd tried it first......
Strange, I've never had any issue with Clonezilla's block level cloning. I've cloned Dell drives, but never Alienware though. Glad you got it sorted.
Old January 14, 2019, 09:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Strange, I've never had any issue with Clonezilla's block level cloning. I've cloned Dell drives, but never Alienware though. Glad you got it sorted.

It would boot from the USB, but then threw some errors when I tried to run any of the options, something about trying to write something but it was already existing. Both Easeus Todo and Partition Assistant run from within Windows and were simple to run.
Old January 14, 2019, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AOMEI is strange it has easy clone and system clone and says you have to use system clone to make sure your pc will boot afterward. I thought a clone is a clone don't know why it wouldn't boot after anyways just thought it was weird.

offtopic but why would you move the recovery partitions to the end of the drive?. I just ask cause I don't know what the difference would matter where there are on the drive thanks
Old January 14, 2019, 01:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
offtopic but why would you move the recovery partitions to the end of the drive?. I just ask cause I don't know what the difference would matter where there are on the drive thanks

So that I have one large OS partition. When I cloned it to the larger NVMe drive it put the recovery partitions right after the original ~220GB OS partition, leaving ~240 GB unallocated. I'd prefer to have as few logical drives as possible, so I moved the recovery partitions to the end and expanded my future C drive to maximum size. I'll be swapping the HP EX920 to the primary M2 slot tonight so I'll see if it works how I want.

Edit: And now I see that 1TB NVMe drives are going for as low as $229 on Newegg. Kicking myself for not ponying up the extra c-note now.
Old January 14, 2019, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Dell offers downloadable recovery media and with Windows 10 you can always just download from MS directly too. Never found a reason to keep those OEM recovery partitions on my personal machines.

And just to be clear, you're talking about moving the OEM recovery to the end of the drive? Not the OS one that's the boot partition? I had issues with the OS boot partition being at the end of the drive and preventing Windows 7 to 10 upgrades, so I wouldn't be surprised if it prevents you from doing feature upgrades in Win10 too. Just something to be mindful of...