Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2019, 02:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Unless it is a killer deal I would probably not go used for hdds. Def not without seeing a smart reporting showing power on hour count, and smart reallocation count (ie bad sectors that have been remapped), etc etc.
My bad! I actually meant used enterprise/data centre SSD drives. I seem to recall that someone here use to buy Intel ones.
Old January 10, 2019, 08:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Gotcha. Will really depend on the model of the drive... and what it was used for. I would not buy a MLC enterprise drive unless I had proof of life left (gb of writes.. and over how long a period of time). Even then IDK... depends on the model and price. IE they are usually loaded with a ton of over-provisioning and are not the fastest (usually), instead their job is to be durable.. but that durability has a limit. Sooo be careful.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 13, 2019, 03:52 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Gotcha. Will really depend on the model of the drive... and what it was used for. I would not buy a MLC enterprise drive unless I had proof of life left (gb of writes.. and over how long a period of time). Even then IDK... depends on the model and price. IE they are usually loaded with a ton of over-provisioning and are not the fastest (usually), instead their job is to be durable.. but that durability has a limit. Sooo be careful.
If Consumer grade MLC drives such as the 840/850 Pro can write a Petabyte or more before running into degradation and issues I'd say an enterprise MLC drive would do the same.