Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2018, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default MS to drop Edge for Chromium...

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...aily_RL.EU.A.U

it seems MS is getting smart and fighting in spaces they can win.
Old December 4, 2018, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I saw that headline come across my news feed this morning but hadn't had a chance to look at it. Interesting if substantiated by MS.

Wonder about the security implications of a world with fewer valid browser options... I mean I already use Chrome and Firefox, and not Edge or IE at home, so no real change for me. But if we slowly all converge onto Chromium's code, more likely for a flaw to clobber us all? I suppose the alternate argument would be more support and eyes on Chromium code the more secure it should be?
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old December 4, 2018, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really cant see that happening isnít chromium more for Android also the search engine is Google not bing or what ever MS uses . but maybe because the spyware watch wear stuff would be the same I dont use chromium I use ff even though it is a resource hog and I am pretty sure it has I thnl what are call memory leaks it still works decent.
Old December 4, 2018, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No I don't believe Chromium is "more for Android". Chromium is the open source project that is the underpinning or backbone for Chrome.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old December 4, 2018, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm unsure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I've been running in to a lot more instances now where Chrome is giving me problems with websites and interactions.

Heck, I actually opened up Explorer (work computer, doesnt have another browser besides Chrome) today to log in to a website so I could buy something, because Chrome would not keep me logged in no matter what I tried. Coupled with that, and the streaming issues I've had with it on multiple computers (that cannot be reproduced on other browers), and I've ported back to Mozilla for my daily browsing habits.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 4, 2018, 08:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think it'll be a good thing as Edge never felt like it was fully fleshed out, even though it's been in Windows 10 for 3 years now. It really hasn't had any of the Enterprise features or controls that IE11 had and a lot of companies moved to Chrome instead as it does offer everything IE11 did plus a whole lot more. I think Google really capitalized on the Enterprise browser market.

MS has been trying to claw that back with all their ads in the OS to use Edge and basically forcing it upon users when you want to change your default browser, but obviously that's not working for them. They collect telemetry on millions (billions?) of Win10 devices, so they know...

Hopefully they've finally realized it doesn't make sense for them to keep developing their own rendering engine, I'm sure their efforts can be better spent on other features in Windows 10, or perhaps even testing releases properly
Old December 5, 2018, 06:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Edge was released in such a mess at the start it's not surprising that it hasn't been able to get any traction in the market. It really felt like a project which was released a good 2 years early and was just a shell of what it needed to be. They should have left IE as the default browser until Edge was ready for prime time, but I suspect it was seen as a main pillar of W10's new ecosystem and thus was pushed out the door in spite of being nowhere near finished let alone polished.

Don't know if they've done anything with it since the early days, but the fact that something as simple as managing bookmark location on the toolbar was a painful experience drove me away for life in less than an hour's worth of use.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old December 5, 2018, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Edge was released in such a mess at the start it's not surprising that it hasn't been able to get any traction in the market. It really felt like a project which was released a good 2 years early and was just a shell of what it needed to be. They should have left IE as the default browser until Edge was ready for prime time, but I suspect it was seen as a main pillar of W10's new ecosystem and thus was pushed out the door in spite of being nowhere near finished let alone polished.

Don't know if they've done anything with it since the early days, but the fact that something as simple as managing bookmark location on the toolbar was a painful experience drove me away for life in less than an hour's worth of use.
The other thing I always thought was a mistake at launch, and extra confusing for a "normal" PC user, was that Edge and IE continued to coexist. Likely because Edge wasn't full featured, as you said, but it was confusing optics to have two browser options from the same provider; automatic confusion about why should I use one over the other and when? I think people would automatically default to the icon or the browser they used on the previous version of Windows, and thus less market penetration/acceptance for Edge.
Old December 5, 2018, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I really cant see that happening isnít chromium more for Android also the search engine is Google not bing or what ever MS uses . but maybe because the spyware watch wear stuff would be the same I dont use chromium I use ff even though it is a resource hog and I am pretty sure it has I thnl what are call memory leaks it still works decent.
Like Lysrin mentioned, chromium isn't for android. It's the basic skeleton for browsers to be based off of. Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi are all fully fledged PC browsers that use chromium as it's backbone. You used to be able to actually use a 'chromium' browser instead of chrome on PC, but I'm not sure the status of that at the moment.

I'd be surprised if MS actually ditched Edge instead of a refresh or 'new' browser. Maybe they think the development cost to revenue ratio is too small, and they'd rather focus efforts on another part of the industry though.

I don't really care for chrome, I find Opera and Vivaldi to have better and more intuitive user interfaces and features, and when I'm having issues with a site I'd rather use Firefox as my backup.
Old December 5, 2018, 11:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I'm having issues with a site I'd rather use Firefox as my backup.
Because they don't use Chromium as their rendering engine, so it's the only logical choice.

I guess the downfall is we lose Edge as the 3rd rendering choice that's readily available on Windows, but I don't think that's really a big deal. I know I use Edge when Chrome doesn't do something "right", but I could just as easily go back to having Firefox installed like I used to before Win10.

IE11 should be taken out back though, that needs to go