Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel > Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2015, 11:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Couple of unfortunate design decisions in there (lack of a remote as standard, not upgradeable.. even with a proprietary connection for the hdd) along with the problems mentioned with lack of a decent browser and certain apps not working.
I would have thought they would have made it compatible with all apps on it's version (kernel) of Android and just would have worked natively

IMO not quite ready to jump on but the most compelling device I've seen in a while for this kind of use.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 1, 2015, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't understand why they don't bundle the remote in by default... that seems ridiculous for a set top box of any kind. However... the game stream function of this alone makes me want to replace my Roku3 with it. The ability to have Plex running on my living room TV, as well as stream games from my PC... awesome. However, I'll hold off long enough for a few of the bugs to work themselves out and content to be updated. I won't have time during the summer to game much anyway.

Great reviews guys!
Old June 1, 2015, 06:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Great review and the unit itself is tempting as a replacement for my aging Boxee Box, the thought of all of the apps including Plex which the Boxee does not have along with native Android gaming and Nvidia streaming is exciting. I might wait and see what else happens on the Android TV front before purchasing anything.

Last edited by wedge22; June 1, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old June 1, 2015, 06:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

SKY, do you happen to have a Chromecast? I'm curious how Android TV compares to it. I think it largely has the same functionality from that aspect of media streaming?
Old June 2, 2015, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That was possibly the best review I have seen on HWC. Loved the video...great job!
Old June 2, 2015, 12:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Thanks for the compliment...if you are talking about the written content too. ;)

I don't have a ChromeCast but SHIELD should compare to it perfectly since CC functionality is built right in.
Old June 2, 2015, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Great review and it's something I'd actually consider buying. I'm not too worried about the gaming side so those limitations don't really bother me too much. Having Plex, Youtube 4k and some of the other features really make this something I want to play with :)

Excellent review! Keep up the good work guys.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 3, 2015, 09:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Thanks for the compliment...if you are talking about the written content too. ;)
Of course! I read and watched
Old June 8, 2015, 09:04 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Where can you buy this in Canada? I've searched online but can only find it on the Nvidia site with almost $40 shipping :(
Old June 10, 2015, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just got mine the sheild Pro the shipping was fast only issue iv seen so far can't seem to get Netflix running on it so I'll be using it to play few games here there and till they find a way to root it. There is xbmc support but it costs $7.99 which I don'tind since it'll replace a htpc.