Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2019, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGardiner View Post
Sorry, but their colour scheme is horrendous.
yes, beige and brown CACA !!!
Old May 29, 2019, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
That's not an argument for AIOs. They use fans on their radiators to remove heat just as heatsinks do. How that heat travels is what causes an additional point of failure for an AIO, and that's what Prickly007 is getting at.

Heatsinks have wicking material inside the pipes to transfer heat to the fin stack - this should work virtually indefinitely. Pumps are a mechanical device with a stated MTBF that is exponentially lower than the former.

Besides that, you also have to consider how confident you are in how sealed your AIO really is, otherwise expect evaporation, regardless of the formulation of fluid they are using.
I'd actually be curious to see a dated graph of the performance change in an AIO over a few years due to micro-leakage and evaporation.

I'm guessing it'd fairly low, but who knows. I do think that air-coolers are still a better option for the vast majority of users; lower cost, less parts to fail, not having to drain, clean and refill if you want to do maintenance (as opposed to dusting only for air, which you still have to do on fans and a rad anyway). That being said there's nothing wrong with AIOs and they've certainly got more cooling potential.