Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2019, 03:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default RAM used with Ryzen systems?

I am wondering if anyone with a Ryzen build populated all 4 slots in an ATX or mATX board/build. Do you have any issues? Was the setup trouble free or were there various issues?

I have read that Ryzen/AM4 doesn't 'accept' all 4 slots without issue - and that using just 2 slots is recommended. But, maybe with all the BIOS revisions/updates, there is not a problem now? I hope not. I am not sure which form factor mobo to go with but was thinking of an ATX - and at some point, I think I will want 32GB. I'm just not sure how to get there - 2 sticks of 16GB (REALLY EXPENSIVE!) or 4 sticks of 8gb - I have 2 sticks of 8gb right now - not yet in a system. I know that 16gb is usually good enough but I might want 32gb eventually. I prefer to just buy another 2 sticks of 8gb each - or else, I'd have to sell what I currently have.
Old January 11, 2019, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if you go ITX, you don't need to worry...only two memory slots. :)
Old January 11, 2019, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
I am wondering if anyone with a Ryzen build populated all 4 slots in an ATX or mATX board/build. Do you have any issues? Was the setup trouble free or were there various issues?

I have read that Ryzen/AM4 doesn't 'accept' all 4 slots without issue - and that using just 2 slots is recommended. But, maybe with all the BIOS revisions/updates, there is not a problem now? I hope not. I am not sure which form factor mobo to go with but was thinking of an ATX - and at some point, I think I will want 32GB. I'm just not sure how to get there - 2 sticks of 16GB (REALLY EXPENSIVE!) or 4 sticks of 8gb - I have 2 sticks of 8gb right now - not yet in a system. I know that 16gb is usually good enough but I might want 32gb eventually. I prefer to just buy another 2 sticks of 8gb each - or else, I'd have to sell what I currently have.
There's plenty of builds between Youtube and forums that have 4 Dimms filled in Ryzen without issues. I would guess that beyound the possibility that some people have a bad stick or settings and didn't test with Memtest, the only obvious culprit would be bad bios settings or possibly using a stick's intel XMP settings and it not getting translated properly into the settings on an AMD board resulting into settings that were causing issues.

I suspect that XMP issues are a rarity, but it's the only obvious other possibility I could think of. There could be a rare DDR4 that's just outright not supported in an AMD system, but I don't think that's a common occurence in this day and age.