Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2018, 02:35 AM
Rookie

Default Why is this Corsair Vengeance RAM not supported on any mobo?

Hi

I'm in the process of purchasing parts for a new Ryzen build. As I already had the RAM and a PSU leftover from other jobs, I started with those. Backwards probably yes but that's how it started!
So my problem is that any MOBO I'm interested in doesn't have my RAM on its supported list. I have 4x8gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 (3000CMK16GX4M2D3000C16).
I've attached a screenshot of a typical example of what I've been seeing repeatedly......in this example it's the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi. It seems to me that nearly every single variant of Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000 is supported except mine! Have I just got unlucky or do you think this RAM would be supported even if it's not in these lists? By the way I'll be hoping to push the RAM to as close to 3000mhz as possible. Apologies in advance for my limited knowledge, this is my first build and I'm doing it with the help of a guy who has far superior knowledge than my own so if you have any questions it may take a day or 2 to give you an answer!
Attached Images

Old November 2, 2018, 07:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I hardly look at the QVL. The sample list is so small, I don't find it helpful. What is interesting though is the mobo manufacturers are listing more memory that has the hynix chipset so that is encouraging. I would just choose a mobo and compare motherboards and not worry about whether your RAM works with it or not. I also have Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM 3200 MHz. It's also hynix so I am a bit concerned about getting specified speeds and how the mobo will work with it but I'm not letting that factor into my choice. Just make sure you get a Zen+ cpu (i.e. Ryzen 2000-series) so that there is even less chance of an issue. Imho, the mobo manufacturers haven't tested enough memory (sticks) so you have to just go by trial and error - if buying brand new RAM and you are going AMD, I would suggest to pay a bit more and get Samsung b-die RAM, though, but it's just something that improves the chances of having an initial smooth experience.

P.S. I think the only other concern is how Ryzen systems play with more than 2 memory sticks - in your case 4. But, I would just see how it goes - if you are going AMD.
Old November 2, 2018, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

3000CMK16GX4M2b3000C15 this is the ram I am running on ryzen 1700 and works great very close to your set beside like the Fubar said I tend to not listen to the qvl it's only with ryzen that I started to even look at it lol. I would start with 16gb in dual channel then try to run the 32gb after it's up and running
Old November 2, 2018, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've yet to see a system (Intel or AMD) that Corsair LPX RAM doesn't work in. It has to be some of the most compatible RAM on the market today. Although I can't speak for that exact MB/RAM combination, I certainly wouldn't sweat it not showing on the list.
Old November 12, 2018, 04:27 AM
Rookie

Thanks so much for the advice. Interestingly we tested the Corsair RAM out on a prebuilt HP Omen 880-028c gaming Desktop PC and could only get it to run at its base speed - I think it was around 2100 (the HyperX 2400 RAM that it was originally in that system was running fine at pretty much its full speed of 2400). Mind you the mobo on that system is a weird one, it's HP's own b350 so prob more to do with that than anything else. And HP clearly state that the mobo supports PC4-19200 so that might explain that as the Corsair is PC4-24000....... Anyway, I have a 2700x for this build so fingers crossed everything works out. I did see a review from a guy who said it was running full speed on his x470 board so fingers crossed i have the same experience. Thanks again, everyone was super helpful.
Old November 18, 2018, 07:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I've yet to see a system (Intel or AMD) that Corsair LPX RAM doesn't work in. It has to be some of the most compatible RAM on the market today. Although I can't speak for that exact MB/RAM combination, I certainly wouldn't sweat it not showing on the list.
I hope you're right. That's what I have. :)
Old November 18, 2018, 07:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Zak View Post
Thanks so much for the advice. Interestingly we tested the Corsair RAM out on a prebuilt HP Omen 880-028c gaming Desktop PC and could only get it to run at its base speed - I think it was around 2100 (the HyperX 2400 RAM that it was originally in that system was running fine at pretty much its full speed of 2400). Mind you the mobo on that system is a weird one, it's HP's own b350 so prob more to do with that than anything else. And HP clearly state that the mobo supports PC4-19200 so that might explain that as the Corsair is PC4-24000....... Anyway, I have a 2700x for this build so fingers crossed everything works out. I did see a review from a guy who said it was running full speed on his x470 board so fingers crossed i have the same experience. Thanks again, everyone was super helpful.
You should be fine. It's probably hynix RAM so you might be limited if you try overclocking but it should run at specified speeds no problem. You might have to tweak some settings in the BIOS (if you even have to do that). The problems were in the beginning and with the early Ryzen boards/processors. The kinks have been worked out but for getting most out of RAM, overclocking it and major tweaking, it is said that memory with Samsung b-die is the best. But, if all you want is specified speeds and maybe a small OC, hynix should be okay. The only other caveat is that 32gb - even if it's two sticks (four sticks, especially so), might involve some extra tweaking. This is all that I've read, though.... as I have no experience with it.
Old November 19, 2018, 02:59 AM
Rookie

Ok the build is complete while everything is running smoothly, sure enough the RAM is running at only 2133. I must admit, i'd really like to get that running faster but I've heard some horror stories with people using XMP with Ryzen builds, and especially Gigabyte mobos which I have. What would be your suggested way to bump up the speed without using XMP?
Old November 19, 2018, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

make sure you have AMD's version of XMP active, then the RAM should run at it's default clock speed. :)
Old November 20, 2018, 04:34 AM
Top Prospect

What I did on my 2400G is set the xmp profile in my asrock bios. Then I selected the max speed supported by the cpu (2933) and then ran memtest for a few hours.

If the results are ok, then try the max speed of your ram.

Tags
compatible , mobo , motherboard , ram , supported