Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2018, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ok here's a new one

Ok so everybody knows that I have been having weird pc problems that seem to change which part is not working right lol.

first, it was ram dropping out then bios had to backed up to an early version to work
( have all my ram show up).
Well now no matter what I do one stick seems to not wanna boot up. I mean sometimes it stops pc from boot other times it just doesn't show up, the strange thing is every ram test I have run when I could get it to show up and boot up ok tested fine.

So my question is how can ram been screwed up and still test fine and pls some recommendations for ryzen ram 2800 or up pls

thanks all

pretty sure I am going to end up buying a new setup 2700+board+ram soon getting tired of this.

Oh FYI all I did was change my heatsink and everything stopped working right again

So I am amzon right now looking for good ram any suggestions would be great

Last edited by gingerbee; October 11, 2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old October 11, 2018, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Any chance it could be a motherboard problem rather than the RAM stick? Perhaps a problem with the slot itself? Intermittent connection for lack of a better term. When the connection is made, things work fine. When not the RAM doesn't work. Changing the heatsink would undoubtedly disturb or flex the board even if you are careful, thus causing the issue to resurface.

Total shot in the dark, but perhaps. Any chance you have a second PC or board to test the RAM in? If it works consistently in the other setup then I would point my finger at the motherboard/slot itself.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old October 11, 2018, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

first...is everything stock? no oc?

second...are all the sticks the same make/model and p/n? when you look at them, do they all look identical? mfr have been known to make changes without updating the p/n.

third...run memtest86 on each stick. could be one has gone bad, but will work on it's own but not with others. memtest86 for at least an hour...

Last edited by Mr. Friendly; October 11, 2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old October 11, 2018, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup, I have several PC's and have checked it has same problems and I have tried moving the ram stick around still no joy. but if I take it out and move the other stick around no problems everything is fine.

just about to place an order for new ram and RMA the kit if this fails I will be buying new CPU and motherboard wanted to hold out for zen 2 but may not happen

board flex was my first thought but I have checked board is as straight as an arrow and using noctua heatsink so pretty much top of the line no board flex in my experience
Old October 11, 2018, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

[QUOTE=Mr. Friendly;876436]first...is everything stock? no oc?

second...are all the sticks the same make/model and p/n? when you look at them, do they all look identical?

third...run memtest86 on each stick. could be one has gone bad, but will work on it's own but not with others. memtest86 for at least an hour...[/QUOTE
no oc ram is matching sticks ( gskill 2800mhz ) and ran memtest too many times to count when I could get it to show up and ran windows ram test too both showed no errors
Old October 11, 2018, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

looking at these to replace it
https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Vengea...dr4%2Bram&th=1

cheap and fast and ordered so we will see 200 is better than 1000 for new board CPU and ram
see how it goes

Last edited by gingerbee; October 11, 2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old October 11, 2018, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
looking at these to replace it
https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Vengea...dr4%2Bram&th=1

cheap and fast
that's the RAM I have...good stuff. :)
Old October 11, 2018, 12:37 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

DL Taiphoon Burner. Run it on the rig with the mem. See what type of RAM ICs its using. Could be the board, could be your Ryzen's IMC just not liking the ram. Samsung B-dies are the most reliable. You probably got Hynix RAM ICs... in which case the ram is fine its the Ryzen IMC that is not happy with them. This assumes you tried multiple memtests for at least 1hour and they passed.

IIRC those corsair you linked were Hynix based but v4.31 of them is Sammy B-Die. No idea what version that amazon kit is. Could also be wrong. Been awhile since I looked it up. YMMV etc etc

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 11, 2018, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well, I just checked for the ram I just ordered and it says Samsung B-dies is whats on it thanks akg. The only reason I don't this that its the memory die is that the other stick runs perfectly

holy crap this makes no sense akg you may have something there the gskill says it's Hynix memory dies still I find it very strange that the other stick works fine and only one it doesn't like. crap may have to send off for RMA or sell as an 8 gig stick that someone may get lucky and get 16gig for the price of half an 8gig bew stick lol we will see

kinda glad my new ones show up on the samsung b-dies list lol
Old October 11, 2018, 01:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Does the 'good' stick work in the 'bad' sticks DIMM and vice versa? Could be as simple as the IMC is puking out on dual dimm config (ie it will only work with your hynix ram when only ONE stick is being used).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr