Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2018, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ok strange problem i have never had anyhelp would be great

Ok like it says I have a strange problem with my ram it won't run at anything higher then 2133 if both sticks on in any dual slots on the board but both sticks will run at 2800 when only one stick at a time is on the board never seen this before.

oh and when both sticks are on the board I get the 3 short beeps :basic memory 64K address check error
my specs are listed below any idea before I start buying things to replace ( which I have no clue where to start)

cpu ryzen 1700 at stock speed
gigabyte b350 gaming 3 motherboard
16 gigs gskill ram that should run at 2800 and has been there for over a year
gtx 160 6gb gpu
noctua cooler not sure what that would matter

any help or clue would be great thanks in advanced I have never seen this before in 20 years of pc building
edit just wanted to add I ran mdsched to test ram and came back clean no errors

Last edited by gingerbee; August 10, 2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old August 10, 2018, 06:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Isnt this a known problem with Ryzen's memory issues?

I'm pritty sure I read about this in our and anandtech's reviews.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 10, 2018, 06:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried manually setting the mem voltage? Did you select whatever the AMD version of XMP is?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old August 10, 2018, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run everything at stock (auto volts, auto frequency, etc) and check your CPU for segfault bug with kill-ryzen https://github.com/suaefar/ryzen-test

If it fails ask for CPU RMA
Old August 10, 2018, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok well, I have worked out that it must be the motherboard or the CPU cause my htpc has 2400 gskill in it and it does the same this. I never heard of ryzen CPU doing this but doesn't mean it not the cause and thanks i will check that other thing listed last hope it not the CPU that would suck and be a first for me never had a chip die or do goofy things

and yes all I tried to manually set everything up voltage and speed no joy at all still get the same problem the 3beep your done 64k memory error

oh, I have the most up to date bios I think it f22
Old August 10, 2018, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok how to test under windows I don't have an Ubuntu 17.04 live distro any other way to test
Old August 10, 2018, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok well working on a Ubuntu 18 as I type this. Hope it works would hate to have to RMA my CPU only thing I can't understand is why it would work on the stock speed of 2133 but nothing else. Just seems weird to me but I guess that means I am buying a 2700 soon. Would buy the same cpu but don't want any more problems thanks for everyone's help could fix my problem without ya all

edit Ok well since I haven't used Ubuntu since 10.10 I have no clue how to get this to work. I guess I am stuck RMA'ing my CPU and buying another one what shit amd not super happy and i can't believe this is such a problem there no easy way to test this come on amd almost making me unhappy i switch from blue team

Last edited by gingerbee; August 10, 2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-review-5.html

Like I said, this is a known issue with Ryzen memory compatibility. I'd suggest pulling the ram specific model number, and doing some research. I bet you'll find your ram isnt fully compatible with Ryzen.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 10, 2018, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks will look into that too but it worked for over a year seems odd it would just now stop working
Old August 10, 2018, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well I think sagath may be on to something cause task manager now only shows that I have 8 gig instead of the 16 installed. Can someone point me in the direction of ram that works with ryzen or have they solved this problem with the newer chips lol.

just to point out the really strange thing is I have the same motherboard same ram just 2400mhz and a ryzen 1400 in my htpc same bios and it has no problem at all runs great

edit: update i flashed the bios to an older one I know works and surprise but both sticks show up again waiting to see if i can get them running at 2800mhz again we will see lol what a pain

Last edited by gingerbee; August 10, 2018 at 09:19 AM.