Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2018, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default XMP - is it automatic?

I've never set or used XMP before, so I'm wondering if you have to enable it in the BIOS or if it's usually automatic?

and what is it called on AMD's side?

thanks for the clarification.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Any time I've seen it in bios (intel) it's been something you had to select as it's considered "overclocking".

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old February 6, 2018, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As sswilson said, it's an option to enable in the BIOS in Intel motherboards. It is an Intel thing, so Intel boards read the XMP information from the memory.

AMD has something called AMD Memory Profile (AMP). I am not an AMD user so it isn't clear to me if AMP can automatically read the XMP settings or if you need to set the XMP settings in an AMP profile or something and then they will work because the RAM supports those settings, either manually overclocked or through XMP on an Intel board.

I've never used it, but that may help your Googling or a more knowledgeable AMD user will comment/correct me.
Old February 6, 2018, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...gen-intel.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Official JEDEC specifications are that DDR4 is 2133mhz. Motherboards should always initialize ram at the JEDEC spec unless there is manual user intervention to enable an XMP profile - that's intended operation.

XMP profiles are Intel's officially supported way of settings speeds beyond JEDEC which are supported by the CPU and Chipset. Keep in mind that anything beyond Intel's own officially supported speeds is considered an overclock of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the CPU.

Also keep in mind that some vendors motherboards may additionally enable a CPU clockspeed overclock (and subsequent voltage increase) when you enable XMP - on Asus boards specifically this is called "MCE" or Multicore-enhancement. This was revised during the period of Skylake via BIOS/UEFI updates to warn the user of this and ask if you wish to use stock Intel operation - but only on more recent boards have they made the language more clear about it.

Old June 20, 2018, 03:30 PM
Rookie

I've never had XMP enabled by default. Definitely something you have to enable in BIOS.