Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2017, 02:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Which?

I really didn't know what to put in the title. :D

The question is, which RAM/memory to get if....

you start off with a budget build - most of the mobos (and processors?) that aren't the Z-series with Intel aren't compatible with the higher speed (frequency) of memory so for e.g., 2133 or 2400mhz is the limit? What about XMP? So, those motherboards won't have an option in the BIOS to go any higher? Can you still theoretically install memory of 3000 or 3200mhz in there and accept it will be downgraded in speed to the lower frequency (speed)?

If you can get a good deal on memory, should you go with whatever speed it's at and just accept it'll either be at the 'rated' speed or it might decrease in speed?

Of course, the higher speed memory is usually more expensive but sometimes you can find the 3000 or 3200 mhz speed for 'okay' deals - it just might be GSkill or these other weird company names (Elite Group etc.). But, is it worth it to buy and just accept the downgrade in speed? I thought it was but I want opinions. If you plan on buying a Z-motherboard later or if you use Ryzen (B350 mobos seem to show the higher speed - e.g. 3000mhz and higher - I guess it's considered OC'ing your RAM because the 2666mhz is usually considered the limit on most processors?

Also, previously, people were saying it was better to use higher-frequency/speed RAM with Ryzen mobos/processors?

Or maybe it all doesn't matter if you're not gaming? I wasn't considering the gaming/performance aspect it but looking at prices. If you find higher speed RAM for similar price as lower speed RAM, should you get it?

I find it odd that the AMD Ryzen 'budget' motherboards offer the higher speed compatibility but Intel doesn't? I guess that's a good pro/advantage for AMD - just for options?

Anyway, you understand my question(s), right? :)

I was looking at H110 motherboards to pair with a cheap G4560 but realizing that the limit is 2133mhz (for the h110 chipset?), I am wondering what will happen if you buy a 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz (for e.g.) kit? It'll just down clock to 2133mhz but it'll run? Why not do it if you can get a good price and if you plan on upgrading later? Or is it better to stick with 2400mhz (that's the speed for i3-8100 and for i5-8400, it allows 2666mhz - for AMD Ryzen, their motherboards/processors are the most versatile for speeds?)?