Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2008, 06:38 PM
MVP

This is great news, if it really happens, that is.

They've had newegg.ca forever now...i gave up hoping.

I personally think newegg's site is likely amongst the best i've ever seen for navigating thru & finding products easily, especially when looking to sort by similar items.

NCIX & especially its many spawn (DC, NX Source, etc.) are utterly horrible for navigation, to the point where i won't even bother to look it's so impossible.

newegg in the US has selection that makes NCIX look like a joke, & pricing is generally better as well.

I hope they keep pricing decent & selection here, as if it's a watered-down selection with higher prices, i won't be too impressed.

But either way, i'm very glad to see some much needed competition for NCIX.
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old July 26, 2008, 06:49 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
I'm not 100% sure about the custom rates, but I know that you pay fees after a certain value amount of goods - $100 ? $120 ? Don't remember. I do order things from the U.S., mainly my ink cartridge refills and empty refillable cartridges for my EPSON, it costs me around $50-$60 CDN and they send it Global Priority Express - takes about 3-4 days and I have never paid customs - however one time I ordered something that exceeded $100 and I paid the GST. I avoid as much as possible any company that deals with UPS - they rip you off with their own fees ontop of the fees you pay normally.

No matter if they have their broker, and depending on your province, you might not pay custom fees but taxes/ GST of the value.
As long as the site charges GST/PST, and have their own broker you won't pay a thing when it arrived. Which I assume Newegg will do since it has a .ca domain.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old July 26, 2008, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Before the huge shift in our relative currencies, I always used to look at Newegg and be moaning about the deals the American's were getting. But over the last year or so our prices have really come in line on alot of stuff, not everything obviously but alot. I just ordered a LG GGC-H20L and newegg was $20 more than NCIX, and my shipping was only $5.99 (sale)

But as has been said, competition for lack of a better word, is good.
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4
Antec 900 - Asus Maximus Formula
4 GB Crucial PC-6400 - OCZ 750W
Visionteck 512MB 3870HD
Vista Home Premium 64 bit OEM
LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD Player
2 x WD SE-16 500GB Sata2 NCQ

Last edited by Grollie; July 26, 2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Can't type
Old July 26, 2008, 07:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I buy all my stuff from Canada Computers and Infonec (actually, Infonec is cheaper than Canada Computers and DC on many items and I can drive there and walk away with my stuff). I really like NCIX and Newegg's message/review sections when looking for opinions on products I'm interested in.

Good news anyways as it will provide some more competition but I don't see it as groundbreaking.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 26, 2008, 07:56 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
and what’s wrong with ncix?
I’ve ordered stuff from all over the world online for ten years, and they are tops!
(web sites not the best to navigate, but I’m forgiving)
They take forever to ship stuff out, for one ... I ordered my GPU on Tuesday, they didn't ship it out until Friday afternoon when they had 93 in stock ... I'm sorry, but when it says 1-2 business days, I expect my goddamn product in 1-2 business days, not 4 (which equates to 6 days for me) ...

RMAs and returns aren't exactly a walk in the park, either and actually going into the "store" is even worse service-wise than doing it online.

Unfortunately, they're still the best option in Canada as far as price vs. service goes. I'm just hoping Newegg will either a) Be better than NCIX and/or b) Force NCIX to get their shit together.

Last edited by Jmac; July 26, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old July 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I for one welcome any competition that helps us the consumer. JMac?...all I can say is you must be doin' it it wrong with ncix..lol...seriously though, I've purchased ALOT of stuff from them and had rma's and other issues and I can only speak from my experiences but so far?...they are second to none in service compared to...well pretty much all the other sites we all deal with. Maybe I've just been lucky so far but I'll take that kinda luck over "take a chance" sites anytime. Newegg will be welcome here with all of us, I just hope they come into Canada and do it right the first time not only with price but with service, if they do, they will do well, if they go on price alone?...they won't get much of my cash.

Old July 26, 2008, 09:14 PM
Allstar

competition is good and newegg have a large inventory of product going from the lastest platform to the socket 478 motherbaord with pci-express and ddr2 support?!?!??! WTH that damn mobo realy exist .....

it will make us more place to check for price match or even order stuff that ncix or other online website dont provide here ... by that we could rder those from the egg and then same on duty fee and taxes if we had it ordered from a US retailer

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old July 26, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
They take forever to ship stuff out, for one ... I ordered my GPU on Tuesday, they didn't ship it out until Friday afternoon when they had 93 in stock ... I'm sorry, but when it says 1-2 business days, I expect my goddamn product in 1-2 business days, not 4 (which equates to 6 days for me) ...
Well I've been very lucky with DC - I would order something little past noon and it would ship the same day near closure and arrive before 9AM Purolator AIR next day :D The only time I had any delay was because a product was not in stock - There can be delays also when there is a huge back up in orders and you have to wait in line, which can happen, mind you with the staff they have at NCIX I'm surprised you waited that long for something they had stock for :)
Old July 26, 2008, 10:02 PM
Top Prospect

This is good, because any deal in Canada becomes a deal with NCIX. Newegg will further sweeten the deal.

(Sorry newegg, NCIX will still be my retailer of choice because of this)
Old July 27, 2008, 07:58 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
I for one welcome any competition that helps us the consumer. JMac?...all I can say is you must be doin' it it wrong with ncix..lol...seriously though, I've purchased ALOT of stuff from them and had rma's and other issues and I can only speak from my experiences but so far?...they are second to none in service compared to...well pretty much all the other sites we all deal with. Maybe I've just been lucky so far but I'll take that kinda luck over "take a chance" sites anytime. Newegg will be welcome here with all of us, I just hope they come into Canada and do it right the first time not only with price but with service, if they do, they will do well, if they go on price alone?...they won't get much of my cash.
How do you "do it wrong" ... ? Go to the site, choose the parts, check out.

Anyways, I've ordered upwards of $10,000 worth of stuff for personal and client builds so far this year and there's about a 50-50 chance it's taking double the time it says it'll take. I'm not far away from them; if they get it shipped out that evening, it'll be at my door between 8:30-9:00 AM the next day. My problem is that it takes them 3.5 days to process an order when they quote the shipping time as "Express Shipping $15.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship" and advertise "Want it fast ? This order qualifies for Express Shipping"