Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All I see is another company that will come into Canada and pork us with higher prices than offered in the US for the same stuff. I doubt we'll see much from them otherwise, and if they do not set up a physical presence in Canada we'll get raped with import fees. Plus they will have to charge taxes. Tigerdirect has a physical presence inside Canada, that is how they avoid this. This is not big news and I doubt the low level of competition will do anything since they are sure to jack up prices to the appropriate "screw the Canadians" level that ALL businesses charge.

Besides that, I can drive to CanadaComputers and get things at pretty much the same price as ANY online store and buy it in hand instead of waiting for them to process orders which takes any random amount of days. This is the only place Newegg could hope to win by actually processing orders as they come in not at their convenience like NCIX/DC and so forth. Any company that provides a better level of customer service (which would be simple to do) than NCIX/DC and the rest would win business, even with higher prices.

HTPC: Dell 960 SFF Q9550/Corsair 8GB/X4500HD/128GB SSD

Old July 26, 2008, 10:54 AM

My System Specs

If they have their own broker, we won't have to pay fees if they ship from the USA. However we will have to wait considerably longer for shipping.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old July 26, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
If they have their own broker, we won't have to pay fees if they ship from the USA. However we will have to wait considerably longer for shipping.
I'm not 100% sure about the custom rates, but I know that you pay fees after a certain value amount of goods - $100 ? $120 ? Don't remember. I do order things from the U.S., mainly my ink cartridge refills and empty refillable cartridges for my EPSON, it costs me around $50-$60 CDN and they send it Global Priority Express - takes about 3-4 days and I have never paid customs - however one time I ordered something that exceeded $100 and I paid the GST. I avoid as much as possible any company that deals with UPS - they rip you off with their own fees ontop of the fees you pay normally.

No matter if they have their broker, and depending on your province, you might not pay custom fees but taxes/ GST of the value.
Old July 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_E View Post
There is this rumor that they will settle down in Montreal.

Lol.. I wish.
Why Montreal ? I doubt it to be honest - But if they do that will be good competition for Microbytes ! I thought once that Microbytes had the best prices, as I purchased everything from them, but ever since I discovered DC, noticed that I save $100-$200 on upgrades from DC :D

Considering the high cost of living and the surtaxes and being very expensive to run a business in Montreal, it's unlikely they will choose that location, but we'll see
Old July 26, 2008, 12:46 PM
Rookie

You would have to be out of your mind to open an online business in Montreal.
Old July 26, 2008, 01:22 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Shipping apparently will be from New Jersey by UPS and only IT products can be shipped into Canada. Looking at most of their product, 90% of it is higher than Canadian retailers.
Source?
Old July 26, 2008, 03:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Finally, those geezers have the nerve and gallantry to follow through with their promise of extending Newegg to Canada after some 3 or 4 years.

However, this will serve as a warning chime to our local retailers. Bear in mind, guys, that we still have an obligation to support our local Canadian players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Considering the high cost of living and the surtaxes and being very expensive to run a business in Montreal, it's unlikely they will choose that location, but we'll see
It will probably be established in Waterloo or Hamilton; the latter having extremely easy access to intermodal freight services and in close proximity to the U.S.-Canada border.

Last edited by Amon; July 26, 2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old July 26, 2008, 05:17 PM
Rookie

let's not even talk about Montreal.The thing is that NOBODY is coming to Quebec.The companys are closing their doors around here.
Old July 26, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Be good to see some competition. Couldn't they setup in southern Alberta with a few satellite depots/stores in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton? Seems to be pretty low taxes in Alberta and closer to the asian imports with a depot by the docks in BC..could be wrong.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
Allstar

I hope it's better than buy.com's Canadian version. That site blows chunks.
OCZ SOLID 3 SSD|Seagate 1.0TB
2 X EVGA GTX 460 in SLI