Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201 (permalink)  
Old September 27, 2008, 11:48 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
100% false. computer hardware is as taxable as anything coming over the border.

as for why your order didn't have duty/brokerage/taxes...it's because you already paid them. clearly Newegg is shipping from the US and charging both taxes at time of payment. they are then including the borkerage/duty portion in the shipping charges and pre-clearing items so we don't pay when the package arrives.

this is what a few companies do and obviously Newegg has struck a killer deal with UPS to pull this off. with that said, we are still going to be paying ambitious shipping charges. the logistics of Newegg shipping across border when you factor in returns is completely insane if you ask me. Newegg is likely better at figuring out the numbers than i am but it just doesn't seem feasible...and $14 shipping for a NIC, no "bleeping" thanks

and great, you "didn't even have to sign for it" means UPS will be free to leave packages for the neighbors to grab as they please...another reason UPS is the WORST courier there is...period.
Quote:
Under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement, there are no tariff barriers to computer hardware and software trade between Canada and the United States. All U.S. computer hardware and software exports to Canada are duty free.
Domestic Production

Maybe I am looking at something old here, but I have never had to pay duty for a computer item shipped to me from America, unless it was from Ebay and the sender did not list it correctly. I have also sent pre-built computers to America, and the buyer did not have to pay any type of border tax.

I hope Newegg does open up a warehouse in Canada, or they are in the process of doing so, and are waiting for the official launch of the site, because currently, I pay only $20 more ordering say a 4870 from Newegg over Ncix, and the item is slightly more expensive before taxes and shipping on newegg. Also, it would illimate the brokerage fee you say I pay.

When I was living in America for work, I ordered off Newegg regularly, and compared to Ncix, Newegg is on a different level, at least it's America sector. It's faster, cheaper(with exchange), more secure, tracking is better, out of stock items become in stock faster, and their selection of products is unmatched.

I can only hope Newegg Canada ends up like this. Right now it's no contest between Ncix and Newegg Canada, but Newegg Canada is still only a beta site, and hopefully everything is hammered out before launch.

I don't have a problem with not having to sign for my item from UPS. But, I also don't live in a garbage neighborhood where someone would steal one of my packages. I can see someone who might have this happen to them, or live in a building would not like it. However, it's not something exclusive to UPS. I have gotten items from Purolator where I did not have to sign, and they also have lost 4 items of mine, only to find them 4 months later, broken, after attempting to deliver them to various addresses all over Toronto.
Reply With Quote
  #202 (permalink)  
Old September 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
Eldonko's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,442
Default

Amen brotha
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
UPS is the WORST courier there is...period.
__________________
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes or shark attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #203 (permalink)  
Old September 27, 2008, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterpeg, MB
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Amen brotha
Yup, I'll be pissed off if they don't require a signature from whoever is at home.
I'm fed up with FedEx and UPS dropping my packages off at my doorstep when no one is at home. Next time they do this, I'll be tempted to report the package as stolen.
James
Reply With Quote
  #204 (permalink)  
Old September 28, 2008, 01:24 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 268
Default

Just signed up.

As with the US site, the layout is great.
Pricing is terrible though.

Time will tell i suppose...
__________________
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | i7 930 | Corsair H50
G.Skill RipJaws 4x2 GB DDR3 | HIS Radeon HD 5870
3x Intel X25-M 80 GB RAID-0; OCZ Agility 120 GB | Samsung SH-S243D
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Reply With Quote
  #205 (permalink)  
Old September 28, 2008, 06:44 AM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,943

My System Specs

Default

Looks like Newegg doesn't want my business, since I still can't access the website...
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #206 (permalink)  
Old September 28, 2008, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
Default

When is it coming, and will they ship from US or Canada.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #207 (permalink)  
Old September 28, 2008, 09:02 AM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,056

My System Specs

Default

How come all of you guys are getting access?
Reply With Quote
  #208 (permalink)  
Old September 28, 2008, 09:11 AM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,392

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
How come all of you guys are getting access?
Because we are Cool.


Oh come on I HAD to.

IDK what the requirements are, seams random.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #209 (permalink)  
Old September 28, 2008, 09:19 AM
Alwaysrun's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Posts: 800

My System Specs

Default

I'm pretty stoked about Newegg.ca coming to Canada. I like the fact that I'll be able to pricematch from another source outside the NCIX family of stores. I suspect NCIX won't have much competition in the long run as thier low prices are due to thier proximity to manufacturers around the pacific rim. As far as taxes are concerned I'm a BC resident so I'm obligated to pay both PST/GST so thats a moot point with both etailers for me. As far as courrier service I always get ground shipping via purolator and if I order before 10am one day I've always gotten my parts the following day by 2pm and it's cheap!

Last edited by Alwaysrun; September 28, 2008 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #210 (permalink)  
Old September 28, 2008, 09:33 AM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,056

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Because we are Cool.


Oh come on I HAD to.

IDK what the requirements are, seams random.


It does seem random. Oh well, I'm not in a hurry to buy anything from them anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes