Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hey hey, remember its just a so called beta, and they usually don't give out official prices in betas, we'll have to wait for them to launch. I'm really hoping they have some nice prices to please people, because if they don't, they stand no chance in front on NCIX & company aka the whole of Netlink including DC, bestdirect (tddirect), considering most of our PM's actually do come from DC and bestdirect.

But you have to say the site is so easy to navigate, some cool things like when your searching something it will give you some to choose from right at the search box of what your looking for, I was browing the newegg american website, and honestly 90% of the time it was bang on target as to what I was searching for.
Old September 23, 2008, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect

Personally, I'm not so much concerned about regular priced items as I can just PM another store at NCIX. What I'm interested in, is the sales. I always like a bargain ;)
James
Old September 23, 2008, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
Personally, I'm not so much concerned about regular priced items as I can just PM another store at NCIX. What I'm interested in, is the sales. I always like a bargain ;)
James
I am interested in the hard to find items that cant be had or are out of stock at NCIX.
But yeah UPS sucks monkey balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 23, 2008, 12:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well I know this is kinda a beta launch and some of the prices are not matching NCIX but the kicker for me is no Premier Partner no purchase....well at least not as likely

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 23, 2008, 01:31 PM
Rookie

I told you so. Never doubt those in the know! Newegg = humpty dumpty heading for a great fall.
Old September 23, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I still feel that not only will we see nasty pricing, we'll see a lack of selection north of the border.

HTPC: Dell 960 SFF Q9550/Corsair 8GB/X4500HD/128GB SSD

Old September 23, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm hoping to be pleasantly suprised by this.

I tend to buy a lot of my stuff from NCIX, but lately for my WC gear, I've been going more and more to Sidewinder, because they don't charge tax and I get it shipped by USPS and it's way cheaper than NCIX.

It's too bad, because I'd like to keep the money up here in Canada, but the bottom line is it can sometimes be a really big difference.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry to OT, hey zlojack, isn't shipping cost with USPS more expensive than the local shippers here, also I thought you had to pay extra fees..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 23, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Sorry to OT, hey zlojack, isn't shipping cost with USPS more expensive than the local shippers here, also I thought you had to pay extra fees..
If you order something for under $200, there are no duties. It's USPS, as in United States Postal Service, as opposed to UPS (United Parcel Service), who do, indeed, engage in brokerage fee highway robbery.

I'll give you an example: I'm buying some Bitspower compression barbs. They cost $20 per pair +tax +shipping at NCIX. At Sidewinder they cost $14 per pair plus postage.

The only downside is you don't get tracking, but I've never had a problem with that. Takes a little longer, but for a slow build like mine, I'm ok with that. I should note that this really only works for specialized items like this... the more major stuff and the mainstream stuff is cheaper and easier to get in Canada.

Anyway, sorry for OT, but it's still a part of the whole "online store" discussion and NewEgg vs. NCIX and buying in Canada vs. buying in the USA.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
If you order something for under $200, there are no duties. It's USPS, as in United States Postal Service, as opposed to UPS (United Parcel Service), who do, indeed, engage in brokerage fee highway robbery.
That's not true. Anything valued at over $20 is supposed to be taxed, over $50 if the package is a "gift". And when you do get taxed, Canada Post throws on a $5 fee for brokerage/handling.

If you haven't been taxed on your >$20 shipments, you're very lucky. Just don't count on it every time!