Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2019, 04:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Amazon uses & stores your Alexa data for a set time period

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...cally-forever/

I know, shockedpikachu.jpg right?

Sure, they tell you that you can edit/delete your data manually later...but can you really when they've already data mined it and used it?

Edit: title is clickbaity, but pulled straight from ars. Edited to make it less...dramatic.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; July 3, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old July 3, 2019, 04:14 PM
Folding Captain

You know those sci-fi movies where everyone buys this thing that is supposed to be really good but is in fact really some part of an evil plot to take over the world and /or control everyone? This is totally not that thing.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 3, 2019, 04:16 PM

My System Specs

https://www.amazon.com/alexaprivacysettings

Been this way forever AFAIK. It's actually find of funny as I can view history and actually hear the playback of me swearing @ my Echos when it did something I didn't ask for.

Easy af to delete it as well. You can also just check a box. So you can just say 'Alexa delete today's history'.

Google does the same thing for ALL of your google history as well.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old July 4, 2019, 05:48 AM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
https://www.amazon.com/alexaprivacysettings

Been this way forever AFAIK. It's actually find of funny as I can view history and actually hear the playback of me swearing @ my Echos when it did something I didn't ask for.

Easy af to delete it as well. You can also just check a box. So you can just say 'Alexa delete today's history'.

Google does the same thing for ALL of your google history as well.
Yep and it's not like Android or iOS isn't doing this in some form either too, but people will die on the hill of the Google Home and Alexa being the thing they won't use because of this.
Old July 4, 2019, 06:19 AM
MVP

When the Google home mini came out for like $40 I think I bought 3. I set them up for my parents to use to listen to music and news.

My parents did not use them at all so eventually I used them for the kitchen and my room and sold the last one. I turned off the kitchen on lol off mic lol but I set one up in my room with 2 smart plugs controlling light switches , two lamps. I don’t talk in my room unless turning on or off the light. I just say lights on or off. I don’t really talk around the google mini...

Funny thing is that I use to find it hard to talk and tiring to just say “Ok Google turn off/on lamp/back lamp”. I hated to ‘waste’ my energy to say a command. Now I find it effortless now. I thought it would be easier to just manually turn off or on the light switches before lol. I guess I adapted lol. I did not talk much when I was very young...
Old July 4, 2019, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

the data mining internet is mining. /end.
Old July 4, 2019, 11:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

At least they let you delete them. I didn't see anything weird on there in my history but you have to watch trigger words. Especially if it is something common that would get picked up from youtube/tv etc.
I came into it knowing the risks and I am okay with it. Thinks like smart plugs are awesome.

I wonder if we all say "Computer, tea, Earl Grey, hot" it will make some top list and they will come out with an Alexa integrated tea pot ;)