Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2019, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default did Razer just do the eGPU right?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/16/...nd-chroma-rgb/

triple slot design, 700w PSU & dual Thunderbolt chipset controller to avoid messing with keyboard/mouse input. I think this is the first time the eGPU concept has been done right!

with this you can get a very good notebook w/o GPU for work and when you want to play, have at 'er!
Old April 16, 2019, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

I have acess to a Core X in the office now and there were some obvious pain points. Got lucky on the AMD front since that is what was laying around amd Mac doesnt support nvidia in these things.

The additonal ports from this thing would have been nice over the Core X. One cable in and out of the macbook so it can easily be docked would be nice.

With the CoreX cannot get displayport to display port to work HDMI or display port to HDMI works though.

Also found certain software doesnt render properly. Fiddling around with godot for a sandbox project it was flickering and going absolutly bonkers on the monitors hooked up through the CoreX but were fine on the macbooks screen or a monitor hooked up bypassing the CoreX.

Also the thunderbolt cable it came with was humerously short needed to be 2-3x longer atleast
Old April 16, 2019, 03:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Will have to see how it fares on egpu.io. It sounds like this is finally using Titan Ridge which will help but I believe both ends needs the chip to make full use.

The biggest problem with TB3 and external enclosures is still Intel (Lying as there is actually only 22Gbps PCI-e bandwdith due to reservations + most implementations going through the PCH), so I am not expecting any miracles here till third parties get involved.