Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2019, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Sony Talks Next Gen Console

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14224...vi-gpu-ssd-too

it's going to be using an AMD APU based on Zen 2 and Navi, but Sony doesn't want to call it an APU. an SSD is also supposed to replace the HDD, though I think that's a bit of a goof...one, even though SSD prices are dropping, high capacities still aren't 'cheap'. it would make more sense they use something like AMD's StoreMi caching technology. the boost it provides is significant!
Old April 16, 2019, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah I cant see them putting in large SSD, unless they are getting crazy large volume pricing. My guess is it will be a small SSD (256GB?) and use caching like you say or simply limit how many games can be "installed" which would be annoying.

The caching thing actually makes a lot of sense, most people will only be playing two or three games at a time and those can be stored on the SSD for quick loads but be evicted when the new game goes into rotation.

Stats look good though, going to be a monster of a machine...
Old April 16, 2019, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I still hope the next XBOX blows the PlayStation away. I'm not a fan of Sony...especially after that whole malware on their music CD's thing and their behavior once it was discovered and revealed.
Old April 16, 2019, 10:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

haha microsoft is the devil am I'm sure they have more skeletons in the closet than cd gate.

j/k

I absolutley hte the xbox dashboard with a passion. Went from being an xbox live member from day 1 to a ps4 due to this simple fact. Its just pure crap.

But now I'm considering going back to xbox because the ps4 controller has caused me some serious hand pain.
Heatware
Old April 16, 2019, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14224...vi-gpu-ssd-too

it's going to be using an AMD APU based on Zen 2 and Navi, but Sony doesn't want to call it an APU. an SSD is also supposed to replace the HDD, though I think that's a bit of a goof...one, even though SSD prices are dropping, high capacities still aren't 'cheap'. it would make more sense they use something like AMD's StoreMi caching technology. the boost it provides is significant!
I've seen a few articles on the PS5 release, and this'll be one of the first consoles I don't pickup at or near release. The flow of console exclusives that are really worthwhile has dwindeld. PS isn't as bad as Xbox admittedly, but there's less and less to justify it from MS and Sony. I like Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man, but they're not system sellers to me. The Nintendo & PC combo is really the 'sweet spot' for me to get the largest amount of what I want on a smaller array of platforms.