Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2018, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default details leak for Mobile RTX 2070 and 2080 Ti

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rt...-ti,38206.html

RTX 2080 Ti has 68 compute units & 11GB of RAM, type not specified, with the GPU @ 1.54Ghz.

RTX 2070 Max-Q has 36 compute units & 8GB of memory, type also not specified, with the GPU @ 1.3Ghz.

interesting that they're being paired with Coffee Lake and not Coffee Lake S CPU's though...
Old December 7, 2018, 11:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I very much hope these will still be mostly fully enabled GPU's and we don't go back to M variations at all.

Time will tell I guess.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 7, 2018, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As always with laptop GPUs, thermals and the noise of a cooling solution is a huge factor. It doesn't matter how powerful a laptop is... if it sounds like a wind tunnel, then I'm not interested in using it.
Old December 7, 2018, 12:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
As always with laptop GPUs, thermals and the noise of a cooling solution is a huge factor. It doesn't matter how powerful a laptop is... if it sounds like a wind tunnel, then I'm not interested in using it.
The 1080 OC that my Laptop has is right now the limit of its cooling potential (unless Dell decides to make a thicker laptop for a 2080 / TI).

I don't think anything with a 1070 and beyond doesn't sound like a wind tunnel unfortunately.
There are 5 of us who use Gaming Laptops in my Work LAN Group, and when they all spool up its pretty spectacular in terms of noise, its like a symphony almost with the way each fan has it's own pitch.

I solve this by putting on my Sennheiser's and then all I hear is the game.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 7, 2018, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The 1080 OC that my Laptop has is right now the limit of its cooling potential (unless Dell decides to make a thicker laptop for a 2080 / TI).

I don't think anything with a 1070 and beyond doesn't sound like a wind tunnel unfortunately.
There are 5 of us who use Gaming Laptops in my Work LAN Group, and when they all spool up its pretty spectacular in terms of noise, its like a symphony almost with the way each fan has it's own pitch.

I solve this by putting on my Sennheiser's and then all I hear is the game.

-ST
Yeah, I hate that this is the norm. I understand the want for portable gaming options, but a headset to drown the noise doesn't work great if you're at home and need to hear when your wife calls you or a baby wakes up.
Old December 7, 2018, 12:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Yeah, I hate that this is the norm. I understand the want for portable gaming options, but a headset to drown the noise doesn't work great if you're at home and need to hear when your wife calls you or a baby wakes up.
I agree.

I solved that by putting a highly modified Ambient Noise sensor (something we use at work for paging systems) with an 12V Strobe in the Man cave.

So if the Wife Hollers, or the Doorbell rings/Dogs bark, the light goes off and I drop the headphones.

But yeah, for everyone else without access to this kind of gear, it sucks.

-ST

Old December 7, 2018, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

when you game with a notebook, you use headphones...notebook speakers are terrible. so while fan noise is bothersome, when you are gaming it really is a non-issue cause you are using headphones.

of course it will always be the goal to create a quiet gaming notebook...but we're not there yet unless you're only doing 1080p, cause then you don't need a top end GPU. :P
Old December 7, 2018, 02:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
when you game with a notebook, you use headphones...notebook speakers are terrible. so while fan noise is bothersome, when you are gaming it really is a non-issue cause you are using headphones.

of course it will always be the goal to create a quiet gaming notebook...but we're not there yet unless you're only doing 1080p, cause then you don't need a top end GPU. :P
Actually, that is not quite true anymore. At least on my AW 17 the speakers and mini woofer are quite powerful and clear. I can crank it right up without any 'tin, warble' sound. They've come a long way too.

Some of the entry level units for sure, but the high end units that I've seen, its quite amazing the quality.

-ST