Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2018, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default AMD producing Sony and MS's next console graphics

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...ation-consoles

Not a big surprise, but AMD's making the GPUs for both Sony and MS's next gen consoles. It's not inherently PC news, but I think it probably doesn't bode well for widespread use of Ray-tracing in the next few years. Unless AMD mimics nvidia's push for it and includes architecture changes specifically to support it.

Lets face it, the vast majority of games are designed with consoles in mind first, so this could definitely affect how things play out in game development.
Old September 14, 2018, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

wonder if it's just the GPU...or if they'll do CPU and GPU...perhaps as an APU?

wouldn't it be funny if Sony and MS found themselves with identical processors with literally the same performance on the same titles? LoL!
Old September 14, 2018, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would GUESS they would continue with a single piece of silicone in a new APU, but you never know.
Old September 14, 2018, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

AMD is already making the guts for a Chinese console so I guess this isn't too far fetch.
Old September 14, 2018, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The cpu could come from Qualcomm if AMD is doing just the gpu.
Old September 14, 2018, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
wonder if it's just the GPU...or if they'll do CPU and GPU...perhaps as an APU?

wouldn't it be funny if Sony and MS found themselves with identical processors with literally the same performance on the same titles? LoL!
The current gen has AMD APUs with x86-64 architecture for both the PS4 and Xbox One. They're pretty much the same raw performance between the two already (not counting the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X).

Ironically considering Nvidia is the PC powerhouse, they're currently only in the console market via the Switch, which is some Tegra variant if I'm remembering correctly.
Old September 14, 2018, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And the GPU could be that Vega part from the Hades Canyon nuc, that has 1536 cores.