Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71 (permalink)  
Old December 2, 2017, 10:33 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 11,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Linus Tech Tips talks about the bankruptcy and some other things about NCIX.

https://youtu.be/KMaWSinw4MI?t=41m33s
I can agree on a lot of what he said. Having worked there it always seemed to be completely disorganzed or ran in weird ways.

Langley store had sales quotas for the front counter staff that were to be met, and if they did not they would have to have a talk with management.

When working in the service department you had two fees: walk ins and builds. The build fees were the best if you were busy but the walk-ins got distributed amongst all the stores then split up amongst service techs.

So if your service department was slower than another or vice versa or hard work was shared.

I think I lasted about a year or so and I met quite a few good people including Linus and he was always a good guy. I am glad to see that he was able to successfully find his mark and do as well as he is and perhaps one day when I am in the area I can stop by and say hi.
Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2018, 08:34 AM
Icarus's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 51

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
DIY PC, NXSource, BestDirect, DirectCanada, MemoryHouse. All these places are sister companies of NCIX.
So are all these places gone?
__________________
Ϣr

i7 4790k 32GB Kingston HyperX MSI Gaming 5 MSI R9 390X Gaming 8G 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T 4x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 1TB WD Black Lain-Li X2000F EVGA SuperNova 850W G2 BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Logitech Z5500 Win7pro 64bit

Last edited by Icarus; February 12, 2018 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2018, 08:49 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 17,795

My System Specs

Default

Not sure.... the ncix website is still operational and at the very least allows items to be put into your cart, but there's no way I'm going to try buying something from them. :)

One of Greg's last posts laid out changes to the online inventory process in which he claimed that only in-stock items and/or items that will be drop shipped directly from a third party source would be recognized by the system and processed.....

Is that still in place? I have no idea, but I can't imagine any bankruptcy trustee allowing them to keep an online store front active if they weren't able to fill purchase requests. There was also some suggestion along the way that they'd lost their ability to process credit card transactions which would make the whole online presence moot anyways.
__________________
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC) / i7 8700K / 2X 8G XPG Spectrix D40 (3000) / XFX XTR 750 / ASUS Strix GTX 1070ti
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Intel 760p 512GB NVMe / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / ASUS SWIFT PG279Q
Dell Optiplex 3020 / Intel Core i3 i3-4160 / EVGA GT 1030 SC / 6GB DDR3 / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/ Samsung 27" 1080p (Curved)
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Monitor
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2018, 10:32 AM
Cannon Fodder's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mission, BC
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Quote:
Computers Canada, DIY PC, NXSource, BestDirect, DirectCanada, MemoryHouse. All these places are sister companies of NCIX.
So are all these places gone?
Hmmm, didn't even know anything about those 1st two, and Googling them doesn't turn up an operational web site, but NCIX's site shows up still, as does NXSource and DirectCanada. If you try to connect to BestDirect, you just end up at DC's site. MemoryHouse seems to have several references in a Google search, but no way to find them directly.

In any case, for all intents & purposes, I'd say they're all gone, unless NCIX somehow manages to re-emerge out of bankruptcy..... given that EVERYTHING at their Richmond location is being auctioned off, the only way that'll happen, is starting out fresh, from square 1.
Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2018, 10:35 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 11,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
Hmmm, didn't even know anything about those 1st two, and Googling them doesn't turn up an operational web site, but NCIX's site shows up still, as does NXSource and DirectCanada. If you try to connect to BestDirect, you just end up at DC's site. MemoryHouse seems to have several references in a Google search, but no way to find them directly.

In any case, for all intents & purposes, I'd say they're all gone, unless NCIX somehow manages to re-emerge out of bankruptcy..... given that EVERYTHING at their Richmond location is being auctioned off, the only way that'll happen, is starting out fresh, from square 1.
I've never heard of "Computers Canada" and if they meant Canada Computers... then that is NOT owned by NCIX or its subsidiaries at all.
Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2018, 11:19 AM
Icarus's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 51

My System Specs

Default

Yes it was a list I copied, sorry, got rid of it.
__________________
Ϣr

i7 4790k 32GB Kingston HyperX MSI Gaming 5 MSI R9 390X Gaming 8G 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T 4x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 1TB WD Black Lain-Li X2000F EVGA SuperNova 850W G2 BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Logitech Z5500 Win7pro 64bit
Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)  
Old February 26, 2018, 06:28 PM
Mr. Gruntsworthy's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Courtice, ONT
Posts: 750
Default

Jeez, I leave for a few years and all hell breaks loose
__________________
MAIN RIG:
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932
CPU : Intel i7-5820K 6-core @ 3.3GHz
RAM : 32GB DDR4 2400MHz (G.SKILL Ripjaws)
HDD : Main: 240GB SSD SATA2 (Intel) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB
PSU : 750W Corsair Modular PSU
MoBo: Asus X99-A
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080 + random 4:3 monitor

Level/Game Designer, Programmer
http://mikeseguin.webs.com/

I run Durham 3D Printing, an online 3D Print shop!
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old February 26, 2018, 10:28 PM
Cannon Fodder's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mission, BC
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Not sure.... the ncix website is still operational and at the very least allows items to be put into your cart, but there's no way I'm going to try buying something from them. :)

One of Greg's last posts laid out changes to the online inventory process in which he claimed that only in-stock items and/or items that will be drop shipped directly from a third party source would be recognized by the system and processed.....

Is that still in place? I have no idea, but I can't imagine any bankruptcy trustee allowing them to keep an online store front active if they weren't able to fill purchase requests. There was also some suggestion along the way that they'd lost their ability to process credit card transactions which would make the whole online presence moot anyways.
Here's quite likely the reason the site is still up(posted at xncix.ca):

"Server was moved offsite before AA(Able Auctions) got in there. When I was speaking to one of those guys and was checking out the lot I went to where the server room used to be and everything was gone. AA told me Steve took it prior to that (paid out of his own pocket apparently) so the server is definitely off site and out of the building."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Direct Canada? atraira Off Topic 16 December 9, 2016 12:04 PM
Direct Canada fortkentdad Peripherals 7 August 14, 2013 04:11 PM
Ncix or Direct canada? Heatbag Troubleshooting 19 December 15, 2012 04:37 AM
something odd with direct canada..... rob123 Off Topic 8 November 21, 2008 03:57 PM
Direct Canada RMA Killuminati Off Topic 13 May 23, 2008 05:49 PM