Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2015, 10:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Exclamation HackingTeam malware detection

Is your computer infected by some of the HackingTeam tools? You can find out now!

Rook Security released their tool called Milano, witch are sharing freely, scans for the presence of files associated with the recent Hacking Team breach. For this first iteration of the tool, we they conducted analysis on 93 Windows binaries released from the Hacked Team breach. These files were specific to the projects found on the Hacked Team git projects.

They are continuing to review the remaining files from the 400Gb and will provide more .ioc files as more information is available.

Milano can scan to find Hacking Team associated files in two different ways:

Quick scan: This mode scans for files by filename. If a filename matches, it then checks if file’s computed hash matches the hash from the Hacking-Team-associated file. This approach is not comprehensive, but it is an OK starting point for detection. It is much faster than the deep scan approach.

Deep scan: This approach checks all files (via their computed hash) against all md5s from Hacking-Team-associated files.

You can grab the tool there, unpack and run (opens shell):
https://www.rooksecurity.com/wp-cont...ackage_1.1.zip

For possible future updates, check there:
https://www.rooksecurity.com/hacking...ction-utility/
Old July 27, 2015, 10:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm always leery of any security software not released by a well known source (or at least vetted by a well known source).
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Monitor
Old July 27, 2015, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm always leery of any security software not released by a well known source (or at least vetted by a well known source).
Agreed. I'll stick with Malwarebytes, MSE and Avast or AVG as necessary. There's enough false 'spyware detectors' out there that I don't chance it.
Old July 27, 2015, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah. Not intending to cast any dispersions on trodas, but that whole post gave me the hebejebees! Could be legit, but I wasn't downloading.
Old July 28, 2015, 01:13 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its legit. You can read all about it here:

http://readwrite.com/2015/07/21/mila...alware-sniffer

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr