Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2015, 01:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Maxis Kaput

Electronic Arts closes Maxis studio, makers of SimCity and The Sims - Technology & Science - CBC News

What? EA killing a franchise and then shutting it down completely? Never saw that coming.
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Monitor
Old March 5, 2015, 01:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm sure those folks will be back to create great city-building games as an independent studio. See Westwood Studios for proof of what happens when EA mucks up a great franchise and the developers go on to create something pretty darn good (Petroglyph games in that case). They also screwed the pooch on Pandemic and other studios as well.

What EA just did is try to lay the blame on a great team of developers even though it was "big brother's" marching orders that caused them to fail so spectacularly. Wait a little more and I'm sure you'll see the likes of Bioware go the same route.

My god these big publishers are getting out of hand these days. Is Sega the only one that still maintains unsullied IP?
Old March 5, 2015, 01:37 PM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm sure those folks will be back to create great city-building games as an independent studio. See Westwood Studios for proof of what happens when EA mucks up a great franchise and the developers go on to create something pretty darn good (Petroglyph games in that case). They also screwed the pooch on Pandemic and other studios as well.

What EA just did is try to lay the blame on a great team of developers even though it was "big brother's" marching orders that caused them to fail so spectacularly. Wait a little more and I'm sure you'll see the likes of Bioware go the same route.

My god these big publishers are getting out of hand these days. Is Sega the only one that still maintains unsullied IP?
One could argue Bioware had to a degree. Look at SWTOR, that game was prematurely launched and EA cut half it's staff within the first six months. The game is still limping on but is an MMO that gets very little added content yearly.

We can only hope Bioware gets more space from EA after their success with Dragon Age Inquisition.
Old March 5, 2015, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Is Sega the only one that still maintains unsullied IP?
Like Colonial Marines? (I kid, I kid, they're the publisher, not the owner). But seriously, does Sega have any IPs left of any substance they own? Sonic games are on life-support (and they've even contracted out to have them made, like when they had Bioware make their DS Sonic game).

Total War's had plenty of blemishes, Phantasy and Shinning are dead, they've published (though not developed) a number of stinkers and ho-hum titles. I guess that Project Diva thing has done well, and Yakuza's still around though I don't think either is an enormous success.

Unless you just mean that they're a 'hands-off' publisher, which is possible, but I don't think they own much for developers nowadays.
Old March 5, 2015, 03:08 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Like Colonial Marines? (I kid, I kid, they're the publisher, not the owner). But seriously, does Sega have any IPs left of any substance they own? Sonic games are on life-support (and they've even contracted out to have them made, like when they had Bioware make their DS Sonic game).

Total War's had plenty of blemishes, Phantasy and Shinning are dead, they've published (though not developed) a number of stinkers and ho-hum titles. I guess that Project Diva thing has done well, and Yakuza's still around though I don't think either is an enormous success.

Unless you just mean that they're a 'hands-off' publisher, which is possible, but I don't think they own much for developers nowadays.
I think they completely turned things around with Alien: Isolation.

There's also, Total War, Football Manager and Company of Heroes

That's a pretty strong lineup IMO.
Old March 5, 2015, 06:05 PM
F@H

Supposedly this is just the Maxis team that did SimCity, the one with the Sims is still active/alive.
Old March 6, 2015, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I think they completely turned things around with Alien: Isolation.

There's also, Total War, Football Manager and Company of Heroes

That's a pretty strong lineup IMO.
I didn't think of Football manager, that is a big IP. And probably helping substantially to keep Sega afloat.

I forgot that Sega picked up Atlus a couple years ago which is a big name and has a lot of well liked titles.