Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 5, 2015, 01:01 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 17,834

My System Specs

Default Maxis Kaput

Electronic Arts closes Maxis studio, makers of SimCity and The Sims - Technology & Science - CBC News

What? EA killing a franchise and then shutting it down completely? Never saw that coming.
__________________
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC) / i7 8700K / 2X 8G XPG Spectrix D40 (3000) / XFX XTR 750 / ASUS Strix GTX 1070ti
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Intel 760p 512GB NVMe / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / ASUS SWIFT PG279Q
Dell Optiplex 3020 / Intel Core i3 i3-4160 / EVGA GT 1030 SC / 6GB DDR3 / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/ Samsung 27" 1080p (Curved)
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Monitor
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 5, 2015, 01:25 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,641
Default

I'm sure those folks will be back to create great city-building games as an independent studio. See Westwood Studios for proof of what happens when EA mucks up a great franchise and the developers go on to create something pretty darn good (Petroglyph games in that case). They also screwed the pooch on Pandemic and other studios as well.

What EA just did is try to lay the blame on a great team of developers even though it was "big brother's" marching orders that caused them to fail so spectacularly. Wait a little more and I'm sure you'll see the likes of Bioware go the same route.

My god these big publishers are getting out of hand these days. Is Sega the only one that still maintains unsullied IP?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 5, 2015, 01:37 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 9,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm sure those folks will be back to create great city-building games as an independent studio. See Westwood Studios for proof of what happens when EA mucks up a great franchise and the developers go on to create something pretty darn good (Petroglyph games in that case). They also screwed the pooch on Pandemic and other studios as well.

What EA just did is try to lay the blame on a great team of developers even though it was "big brother's" marching orders that caused them to fail so spectacularly. Wait a little more and I'm sure you'll see the likes of Bioware go the same route.

My god these big publishers are getting out of hand these days. Is Sega the only one that still maintains unsullied IP?
One could argue Bioware had to a degree. Look at SWTOR, that game was prematurely launched and EA cut half it's staff within the first six months. The game is still limping on but is an MMO that gets very little added content yearly.

We can only hope Bioware gets more space from EA after their success with Dragon Age Inquisition.
__________________
Here I am: here I remain
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 5, 2015, 02:04 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,001

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Is Sega the only one that still maintains unsullied IP?
Like Colonial Marines? (I kid, I kid, they're the publisher, not the owner). But seriously, does Sega have any IPs left of any substance they own? Sonic games are on life-support (and they've even contracted out to have them made, like when they had Bioware make their DS Sonic game).

Total War's had plenty of blemishes, Phantasy and Shinning are dead, they've published (though not developed) a number of stinkers and ho-hum titles. I guess that Project Diva thing has done well, and Yakuza's still around though I don't think either is an enormous success.

Unless you just mean that they're a 'hands-off' publisher, which is possible, but I don't think they own much for developers nowadays.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 5, 2015, 03:08 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Like Colonial Marines? (I kid, I kid, they're the publisher, not the owner). But seriously, does Sega have any IPs left of any substance they own? Sonic games are on life-support (and they've even contracted out to have them made, like when they had Bioware make their DS Sonic game).

Total War's had plenty of blemishes, Phantasy and Shinning are dead, they've published (though not developed) a number of stinkers and ho-hum titles. I guess that Project Diva thing has done well, and Yakuza's still around though I don't think either is an enormous success.

Unless you just mean that they're a 'hands-off' publisher, which is possible, but I don't think they own much for developers nowadays.
I think they completely turned things around with Alien: Isolation.

There's also, Total War, Football Manager and Company of Heroes

That's a pretty strong lineup IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 5, 2015, 06:05 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 9,239
Default

Supposedly this is just the Maxis team that did SimCity, the one with the Sims is still active/alive.
__________________
Here I am: here I remain
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2015, 07:24 AM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,001

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think they completely turned things around with Alien: Isolation.

There's also, Total War, Football Manager and Company of Heroes

That's a pretty strong lineup IMO.
I didn't think of Football manager, that is a big IP. And probably helping substantially to keep Sega afloat.

I forgot that Sega picked up Atlus a couple years ago which is a big name and has a lot of well liked titles.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New ssd kaput? stoanee Storage 6 November 24, 2013 03:31 PM
Octo-core = kaput. S_G Troubleshooting 16 June 20, 2009 08:55 AM