Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Windows 8 Has its First High-Level Defectors (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/55715-windows-8-has-its-first-high-level-defectors.html)

Sam_Reynolds July 26, 2012 06:33 PM

Windows 8 Has its First High-Level Defectors

Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system – more specifically its Metro interface – has been lauded by some as the perfect embrace of hardware agnostic computing. Jen Hsun Huang, the smooth talking silicon scion that presides over NVIDIA, is an outspoken proponent of Windows 8, telling the crowd at the Emerging Companies Summit at May’s GPU Technology Conference that he thinks Microsoft’s strategy is “right”.

But for every Jen Hsun Huang, there is an equally prominent detractor of Microsoft’s vision for the new school of computing ecosystems that is manifested in Windows 8.

Read more here: Windows 8 Has its First High-Level Defectors | Hardware Canucks

jibz July 26, 2012 07:33 PM

OpenGL the next big gaming shift?

sswilson July 26, 2012 07:35 PM

Are game companies ready for that? I'd love it, but honestly, how much support would there be for it in windows circles, and if it's not well supported through windows, it's not going to have a large enough base to be economically viable.

jibz July 26, 2012 08:24 PM

I did hear in the something recent past valve hired some all-star linux developers and they are just big enough to make a difference.

ipaine July 26, 2012 08:36 PM

Just because windows 8 is not being well received in many circles, doesn't mean windows 7 is going anywhere fast. I mean I'm pretty sure I will have windows 7 on my machines until at least windows 9 comes out anyways.

SKYMTL July 26, 2012 08:42 PM

OpenGL certainly has potential considering it isn't under the auspices of Microsoft. On the other hand, the "open" part of the graphics language is the issue since there is basically no directionality or hierarchical oversight when it comes to kernel development.

NSdeadly1 July 27, 2012 07:24 AM

I know i'll be sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future. I understand where MS is trying to go with Win 8, but like Jen Hsun Huang said there are actually very few who want the Metro interface. MS is not looking at the bigger picture here IMO. As far as the Valve/Linux rumors go, i have read in some articles that this is something that very well could be happening. problem is can they get enough developers on board to make it work.

sswilson July 27, 2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 (Post 644840)
I know i'll be sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future. I understand where MS is trying to go with Win 8, but like Jen Hsun Huang said there are actually very few who want the Metro interface. MS is not looking at the bigger picture here IMO. As far as the Valve/Linux rumors go, i have read in some articles that this is something that very well could be happening. problem is can they get enough developers on board to make it work.

Quite frankly, with the current state of AAA titles (I'm looking at you DIII !!!! ) if they can just get the indies onboard that'll be a huge step forward WRT PC gaming.

Perineum July 27, 2012 09:59 AM

I'm not so stupid that I need the same UI across all my devices.

Different devices work differently. I'm not "stuck" the moment I use my PC because it has a keyboard and mouse and isn't a touch screen like my phone or tablet.

Likewise I can also drive a standard and an automatic! OH! My epeen!

Lpfan4ever July 27, 2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 644872)
I'm not so stupid that I need the same UI across all my devices.

Different devices work differently. I'm not "stuck" the moment I use my PC because it has a keyboard and mouse and isn't a touch screen like my phone or tablet.

Likewise I can also drive a standard and an automatic! OH! My epeen!

Showoff :whistle: