Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Valve and AMD Team Up to Provide ATI Driver Updates Via Steam (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/36254-valve-amd-team-up-provide-ati-driver-updates-via-steam.html)

FiXT September 15, 2010 11:12 AM

Valve and AMD Team Up to Provide ATI Driver Updates Via Steam
 
AMD today announced its collaboration with Valve todeliverATI Catalyst graphics driver updates via its Steam platform, a leading platform for PC games and digitalentertainment. Steam users can now detect and install the latest ATI Catalyst driver for their ATI Radeon graphics card directly from within Steam. Valve?s most recentSteam Hardware Surv... [ Read full article ]

sswilson September 15, 2010 11:24 AM

I sure as hell hope there's a way to turn off this option.... My only ATI rig (4850) doesn't have steam on it, but I'd be pissed if it automatically installed a first day driver that later turned out to be crap.......

Lpfan4ever September 15, 2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 429243)
I sure as hell hope there's a way to turn off this option.... My only ATI rig (4850) doesn't have steam on it, but I'd be pissed if it automatically installed a first day driver that later turned out to be crap.......

My thoughts exactly. Seems every driver after 10.5 has sucked for my 4870x2.

Zero82z September 15, 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 429243)
I sure as hell hope there's a way to turn off this option.... My only ATI rig (4850) doesn't have steam on it, but I'd be pissed if it automatically installed a first day driver that later turned out to be crap.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever (Post 429245)
My thoughts exactly. Seems every driver after 10.5 has sucked for my 4870x2.

Twitter / Terry Makedon: @NetAntwerp nobody will FO ...

Lpfan4ever September 15, 2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 429251)

Awesome. I figured as much, but it's nice to know for sure.

sswilson September 15, 2010 11:45 AM

Have to see how it's implemented then... as it stands, AFAIK, all of my game updates are done automatically without any input and/or decision making from me.

I wouldn't want to have to disable automatic game updates to prevent automatic driver updates.

Unregistered September 15, 2010 12:09 PM

ATI Auto Steam Drivers
 
Why not spend the time and energy on making ATI drivers more compatible/stabile instead of auto-f'up a system over Steam. If you are using Steam, but don't know how to download a driver for your video card, you have bigger issues, and the last thing you need is auto driver update for your video card.

Zero82z September 15, 2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 429264)
Why not spend the time and energy on making ATI drivers more compatible/stabile instead of auto-f'up a system over Steam. If you are using Steam, but don't know how to download a driver for your video card, you have bigger issues, and the last thing you need is auto driver update for your video card.

ATI drivers are already quite stable. I've had far more issues over the years with nVidia drivers, and I've used a significant number of cards from both companies.

DkRk September 15, 2010 12:25 PM

I doubt I'd use this method, but it's nice to see this option offered. I'm sure plenty of people on Steam aren't even aware that updating drivers is either possible, or worthwhile.

Lpfan4ever September 15, 2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DokkRokken (Post 429275)
I'm sure plenty of people on Steam aren't even aware that updating drivers is either possible, or worthwhile.

Yeah, I think that's what they're mostly targeting here. Sad to see my cousin's computer still on the drivers that came on the disk with his 4850.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 AM.