Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2018, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Evga 1000W G3 or Corsair RM1000i

So what do people think between the two?

Price wise they are sort of close $150 for evga , $190 for corsair.

I think the only real reason I am thinking about the corsair is that it integrates with their link/icue software so you can get info and set fans and such.

I'm doing this cause while I have an 850W, in the new year I will be doing up a new system with the 9900K hopefully and I feel like that with the 1080tis I have I will be pushing past what that 850 can do, as it stands right now I get fairly close.

So any thoughts? Or suggestions for others?

Old November 26, 2018, 12:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Generally Speaking, and this is to account that they are the same Platforms when launched. Both are very solid units.

That G3 should be Superflower, Ledex II while the Corsair is CWT's platform.
Both of which I would have no issue putting in my rig.

If you are not space constrained, and like the Corsair LINK software, than it's a no brainer really.

But if you can do without, and want to save some coin, the EVGA is fine too.

I will say, I do enjoy LINK. I have the RM650i and being able to set my own fan profile and such was awesome. Along with monitoring the status of the unit whenever I wanted.

My thoughts at least.

Regards,

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 26, 2018, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And yea, I am conflicted cause like you said both are great units. Honestly I think it is coming down to weather or not the link is worth that extra bit. And since it is integrated into icue now, that helps since I already have the keyboard, headset, and headset stand in there.

And I can't decide which cables I like best either.

Old November 26, 2018, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you planning on getting sleeved cables at any point? Might be worth checking out which model has off the shelf sleeved cables if so. I know Corsairs usually have Cablemod stock and sometimes corsair has their own in house sleeved cables readily available.

I'm not sure for EVGA though. I'd assume so since they're a pretty popular brand, but it might be worth checking. Of course if you're only planning on the stock cables, it's not something to worry about.
Old November 26, 2018, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I see it more black and white. To me the g3 is a newer platform with a better warranty (or has Corsair extended to the same?) and cheaper. I would say the g3 unless you know you want the software side of the Corsair and are willing to pay for that specifically. Not saying it is bad, but I just feel the g3 is better and better value.
Old November 27, 2018, 02:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Corsair is 10 year warranty, which is the same as the EVGA if I recall. The thing is I do want the software, but is it worth $40 that is the real question. And like you said the G3 is technically newer.

Old November 27, 2018, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been very pleased with my EVGA power supplies. G2 rather than the G3 line but excellent. No issues in a couple of PCs. Not sure I would benefit from LINK, I tend to put in a power supply and never think about it again so paying more for it wouldn't be attractive to me, but YMMV.

Edit: just read your OP again. Guilty of skimming the first time. If you do want to monitor the fans and levels then having the LINK would be of benefit to you I would say.

That system upgrade though, will it really take that much power? Over an 850? I wouldn't have expected that even with 1080Tis in SLI. Interesting.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old November 27, 2018, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well power wise, when I had my 4770k overclocked and both 1080ti's slightly oc'd, if I pushed it (generally only truly in benches) it was according to my UPS, pulling about between 700W and bouncing upwards of 850W. And since that is so close to the limit of my current 850W corsair, I just don't really feel comfortable leaving it.

The plan for the system is to get the 9900k (ideally OC'd a bit) cooled by the evga clc 280, my 1080ti x2 which are both hybrids with push pull on the rads and then for drives we are looking at one nvme, 5 ssd and 1 hdd. So yes, general usage the AX850 I have works great, but when pushing it I get the feeling it is just too close to the limits for it.

Oh yea and I am very pleased with the evga psu's as well. We have been getting them for a few years now at work and so far only one has failed. And that was more likely due to the building (and a construction crew causing a short that took down a entire buildings power).

Old November 27, 2018, 11:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Either unit is a good choice. My only worry with EVGA is they have MANY OEM's and they do change whom makes what from time to time. So it may not be a SF Ledex inside.

But otherwise, its what you want to spend.

I feel the same way too about the load on my PSU's. I don't like running them near max. I prefer to be at 60% in full load scenerios because that is usually where the PSU is most efficient.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 27, 2018, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Either unit is a good choice. My only worry with EVGA is they have MANY OEM's and they do change whom makes what from time to time. So it may not be a SF Ledex inside.

But otherwise, its what you want to spend.

I feel the same way too about the load on my PSU's. I don't like running them near max. I prefer to be at 60% in full load scenerios because that is usually where the PSU is most efficient.

-ST
Where have you read about them changing oems? Not questioning you, but I have never heard that before. From what I know, g2/p2/g3 are all superflower and the cheaper units are fsp (they had one unit made by seasonic, but it wasn’t that common).