Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2018, 08:04 PM
Allstar

EVGA G3 is based off Superflower Leadex II Gold whereas the RM1000i is a modified CWT HX1000i design with different internals and 100% Jap caps. The EVGA 1000 G3 is the better value and has 12 years warranty see here:

https://www.evga.com/articles/01218/...ranty-upgrade/

The 1000 G3 has better ripple and voltage regulation while costing less than the RM1000i. I'd recommend running it with eco mode off due to the aggressive fan profile when running it during ECO mode. Corsair Link isn't worth spending $40 more for an older 2015 platform whereas the 1000 G3 is a 2016 platform. Both are at all time low prices on Amazon (RM1000i is temporarily out of stock BTW). The only advantage the RM1000i has is that it's quieter with eco mode on (while having higher internal temperatures). Either way both the CWT HXi that the RM1000i built upon or the Superflower Leadex II Gold are excellent choices. If I was to choose it would be the EVGA 1000 G3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Where have you read about them changing oems? Not questioning you, but I have never heard that before. From what I know, g2/p2/g3 are all superflower and the cheaper units are fsp (they had one unit made by seasonic, but it wasn’t that common).
He's probably referring to when SF outsourced the B3 to a different OEM (RSY) because they were maxed out on production capacity.

https://www.techpowerup.com/237767/e...3-to-jonnyguru

Still a Superflower platform and design just manufactured by RSY (so not SF).

Last edited by Dark Knight; November 27, 2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old November 28, 2018, 08:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Where have you read about them changing oems? Not questioning you, but I have never heard that before. From what I know, g2/p2/g3 are all superflower and the cheaper units are fsp (they had one unit made by seasonic, but it wasn’t that common).
It usually happens when SF gets bogged down. I can't remember all the lines that were effected. I know Dark Knight mentioned one, but it wasn't the one I was thinking about TBH. I'll see if I can dredge up the article about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
EVGA G3 is based off Superflower Leadex II Gold whereas the RM1000i is a modified CWT HX1000i design with different internals and 100% Jap caps. The EVGA 1000 G3 is the better value and has 12 years warranty see here:

https://www.evga.com/articles/01218/power-supply-warranty-upgrade/

The 1000 G3 has better ripple and voltage regulation while costing less than the RM1000i. I'd recommend running it with eco mode off due to the aggressive fan profile when running it during ECO mode. Corsair Link isn't worth spending $40 more for an older 2015 platform whereas the 1000 G3 is a 2016 platform. Both are at all time low prices on Amazon (RM1000i is temporarily out of stock BTW). The only advantage the RM1000i has is that it's quieter with eco mode on (while having higher internal temperatures). Either way both the CWT HXi that the RM1000i built upon or the Superflower Leadex II Gold are excellent choices. If I was to choose it would be the EVGA 1000 G3.

He's probably referring to when SF outsourced the B3 to a different OEM (RSY) because they were maxed out on production capacity.

https://www.techpowerup.com/237767/evga-caught-sending-golden-samples-of-the-supernova-b3-to-jonnyguru

Still a Superflower platform and design just manufactured by RSY (so not SF).
To me I actually enjoy the LINK software, and controlling my own Fan Profile from it. Though the internal OT sensor will override whatever settings you have LINK if you set it too low or it detects higher than normal temps (confirmed that one with Jonny just so I didn't nuke my 650i by what I was doing).

But again, it all comes down to is that control worth $40. To me, with all the other LINK products connected, it made sense. But it might not for other people. Either Platform is solid, and reliable.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 28, 2018, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for all the input guys. I have not picked either up yet, but that is mainly since black weekend and Christmas presents kind of took over. I'll have to wait a little bit.

I do really want the link software but like people have said it is technically an older platform (not much though) and is $40 more. I noticed no one really talked about the different cable styles, do people prefer the flat over the round? Or the other way around? Or does no one really care?

Old November 28, 2018, 01:47 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I have not picked either up yet, but that is mainly since black weekend and Christmas presents kind of took over. I'll have to wait a little bit.

I do really want the link software but like people have said it is technically an older platform (not much though) and is $40 more. I noticed no one really talked about the different cable styles, do people prefer the flat over the round? Or the other way around? Or does no one really care?
Type 4 on the RM1000i and the EVGA 1000 G3 both have in cable capacitors on the main cables to reduce ripple. There is no difference on the stock cables. They are both bulky regardless of the PSU. If you want flat cables you need Type 3 cables from the HX1000i (older platform).
Old November 28, 2018, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Type 4 on the RM1000i and the EVGA 1000 G3 both have in cable capacitors on the main cables to reduce ripple. There is no difference on the stock cables. They are both bulky regardless of the PSU. If you want flat cables you need Type 3 cables from the HX1000i (older platform).
Hmmm, I was thinking that at least the sata power cables where flat. It seems to depend on what picture you look at for the corsair. Some of them show it having all flat cables.
https://www.corsair.com/medias/sys_m...Mi-1000-07.png
and others showing only some of the cables flat:
https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIm...139-139-07.jpg