Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2018, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default best charger for iPad's and iPhone's?

I've got an original iPad Pro 9.7 and a newer iPhone 8 Plus and need another charger. I've usually gone with Anker dual port chargers, but thought I'd inquire if others have found better solutions?

iPhone 8 Plus uses the better 5w for charging, but I think my older iPad is still limited to the 2.4w or whatever...takes forever to charge while the iPhone is done lickety-split.

also, I know the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus support wireless charging...but I'm not sure if my Otterbox Defender case would interfere with that. anyone know?

also, this is a power question, so under the power supply forum...but if mod's think this is better under the forum for mobile tech, feel free to move.
Old September 14, 2018, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Original Apple charger. All other USB bricks from Anker and Aukey that I've tested have bad electrical whining. Even OG Samsung fast charger brick makes annoying noise.
Old September 14, 2018, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ive never had any issues but for one Anker refusing to stay in the socket.
Old September 14, 2018, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Max charging rate <iP8 is 10w. (5v@2A). 5W chargers are 5v@1A.

>iP8 is 7.5w wirelessly, 18w wired (9v@2A). The case may or may not affect the wireless charge, as it is induction based and range does play a factor.

A charger is a charger is a charger, assuming you're buying a reputable brand and not low quality garbage. Chargers will always downgrade to the max wattage a device will take, or rather a device will only take the max draw it can handle from a charger.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 18, 2018, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Max charging rate <iP8 is 10w. (5v@2A). 5W chargers are 5v@1A.

>iP8 is 7.5w wirelessly, 18w wired (9v@2A). The case may or may not affect the wireless charge, as it is induction based and range does play a factor.

A charger is a charger is a charger, assuming you're buying a reputable brand and not low quality garbage. Chargers will always downgrade to the max wattage a device will take, or rather a device will only take the max draw it can handle from a charger.
this is a truth! watts/amperage are pulled/consumed, only voltage is delivered/forced! :)

also, does anyone know if a thick case would interfere with wireless charging? my iPhone 8 Plus is in an Otterbox Defender.