Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2019, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Another chair thread...

...this one is asking if there are any known chairs that are always winners. I live in Prince Rupert...I'll never have the opportunity to sit in a chair to see if I like it or not.

so here's hoping there are some options out there, aside from the likes of Herman Miller (?) and such, that require you to be a millionaire to afford.

oh yes...it needs to be for a big guy too. I'm about 330lbs and 6ft tall...with most of that being torso, so need a tall back.

I'll be sitting in the chair for a minimum 8 hours a day for work...so I'm not afraid to spend some coin...but not I can't afford 4 figures.
Old March 21, 2019, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

The office got 2 Herman Miller chairs and the rest were Ikea chairs. At home my staples 50% high back leather chair finally started falling apart (the gas strut gave out years ago and was creative with rubber hose and band clamps to keep it up) but the vinyl coating was actually starting to flake off now... I looked at buying these same mesh herman miller chair for at home until I saw the price tag.

For home use I really like high back anyways and like to lean back and take a moment, spin around have a kid in my lap etc. The Triigger series look amazing but price especially if you want a model with a head rest is something like $1200ish or more? I found the display models at MemEx physically painful but I'm 6ft ~220lbs and the ones on display were not meant for my height and the beginning of the head forming was actually putting pressure on my shoulders instead of my head resting in it. When I ended up with was was a secretlabs titan chair, I really didn't want another staples special that I would have to keep patching every 2 years to keep it going. I think it came to just around $500 shipped during the boxing day sales. At 6ft I do find it comfortable but bringing up their sizing picker thing it is meant for <130kg (296.6lbs) not sure how it would be with the difference in weight.
Old March 21, 2019, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

well, I'm not looking for anything gaming oriented...more task and then managerial. ;)

I have a Staples chair and it's done well with my weight...2 years and no issues on the hydraulics. however, the back isn't quite high enough and even though the nut is as tight as it can be, it still slides down slowly, making it even worse.
Old March 22, 2019, 08:06 AM
Top Prospect

I did go all black because I was trying to avoid the gaming look so I avoided any accent colors, but every chair in staples I sat in this time around except for the one I have now in the garage falling apart I didn't find comfortable.
Old March 22, 2019, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been really happy with the Secretlab titan, and it's probably about right for your size. It's not exactly gamer-y but it's definitely a lot less subtle than an HM or the average stables chair. I really like the adjustable lumbar as opposed to the usual pillow.
Old March 25, 2019, 08:48 AM
MVP

We sell some gaming chairs -
as a tech i've had some seat time in lots of office chairs in different locations.

The lazyboy chairs at staples are quite nice over all, the backs on them dont lay independently like some of these racing chairs but comfort wise they are solid chairs.

I have found ALL gaming / race seat style chairs to be uncomfortable over time.
I've sat in 2 different secret lab chairs some DX racers and a quite a few other brands too , imho they are all really uncomfortable for long term use.

A good office chair will do you best imho if you want comfort find a chair that fits you well, The sealy ones are pretty comfortable also I just found them a touch tight for me.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -Guest PC
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
Crossfired XFX290X@1150/1500mhz-EKWB (Main)|GIGA-OC7970WF3@1250/1850 (HTPC)
MSI 970GTX (Guest) ||Asus480GTX@900/2000 (work)
Old March 26, 2019, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

out of curiousity...are there any decent HM knock off copy cats out there?

just looked at that Titan...alas, it's not made for big boys like myself.

I checked the LZY Boy chairs at Staples, but the only one that would work is a horrid 'Ivory' color, so definitely don't want. Doe anyone else but Staples sell these, as my Googling didn't turn up any other resellers, it's like they're a Staples exclusive, not even LZY Boy themselves sells em.

Last edited by Mr. Friendly; March 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old March 29, 2019, 03:19 AM
Top Prospect

You don't have to be rich to own a HM. Check the used market or wait for GRshops annual sale.
Old March 29, 2019, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ124 View Post
You don't have to be rich to own a HM. Check the used market or wait for GRshops annual sale.
I've said this before too, and I was able to get my HM Aeron for $550, floor model demo. There are deals out there. However, the issue is having access to a place that sells the chairs that would allow you to find a deal in the first place. Then there is the added issue of finding one the right size. Looked up Prince Rupert (lovely looking spot btw) and seems you are a ways from a major centre. Would there be any office supply type store in your area that even carries them? Here in Halifax even I think there are only one or two.

I've also mentioned Steelcase Leap Chairs before, but again, they are pricey. I still prefer them over the HM, but the HM for the price I paid is good. Plus the HM warranty is brilliant so that is reassuring for the cost. I had a tech come right to my house to change my cylinder... no cost to me at all. My only complaint with the HM Aeron I have is that no matter how I adjust it, it still puts too much pressure on the back of my thighs. Only noticable after particularly long sessions so it is a reminder to take a break ;) Anyone else have that issue?

Being a larger fellow myself (6'4", 230lbs), I can sympathize with the chair dilemma. Finding one that is comfortable for extended periods, even if you take breaks, is a challenge and then being able to try before you buy is even tougher if you aren't in a large centre. Likely evidenced by the number of chair threads we've had!

I have in the past had some larger executive style office chairs, and they have been fine for gaming, better for that use in some ways, and watching videos etc. but I found the more relaxed posture became uncomfortable if I was doing a lot of typing at the PC, which I do.

What about the Costco executive style chairs? My brother-in-law had one that he liked. He did wear it out after several years, iirc 3-5 yrs or so, but it wasn't crazy expensive so replacing it is less of an issue. They have La-Z-Boy, this is one option. Not super well reviewed but everyone is different so YMMV:
La-Z-Boy® Aventine Big & Tall Air™ Burgundy Executive Office Chair
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz | Custom liquid cooling loop | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old March 29, 2019, 07:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ124 View Post
wait for GRshops annual sale.
When is that sale typically? I think I'll go for broke since I work from home now, so the savings from not commuting will go towards a chair