Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2018, 05:46 AM
Rookie

Default High End Gaming Audio/Headset Help

Hey everyone,

Just trying to see what headsets people have been using. I've been thinking about getting a Beyerdynamic 300 MMX headset but do I need to get an amplifer as well do you think? Im not opposed to it, I just wanna get good sound for games.

Option 1:
Beyerdynamic 300MMX
Sennheiser 1000 Amplifer

Option 2:
Bowers and Wilkins headphones (not sure what ones yet, maybe P7s)
Samson G Track

Thoughts? Any input would be great. I currently have a Sennheiser Game Zero headset which I have loved but I have friends who ditched the gaming headsets and got mics and headset and they love that.

Thanks!
Old October 29, 2018, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Currently my setup is a Sennheiser HD58X with a GSX1000 and a Snowball mic until I fork out for a Modmic. The HD58X sounds fantastic for gaming and music alike and is fairly cheap around $240 all-in once I paid the taxes on it. The GSX1000 does add some nice directional audio cues, however you take a hit on audio quality when doing that. In games like Rising Storm Vietnam 2 the 7.1 really gives you the full on PTSD experience when the shelling starts around you. The downside of the HD58X is a 150ohm so an amplifier is suggested and you need an external mic of some sorts. You also will notice that the mic on your Game Zero (or most Senns headsets in general) is about as good as it gets for clarity and noise cancellation.

If you were to go the MMX 300 route you would not need an amp as it's only 32ohm, but the GSX1000 is still an option though for the simulated 7.1 surround. One thing that I have learned though is that if you're planning on doing a lot of high-fidelity stereo listening the GSX1000 is a pain in the ass to switch between 7.1 (16 bit/48 kHz) and 2.0HD (24 bit/96 kHz) all the time. You have to go into the Windows audio settings and change the channels manually and then up the sample rate/bits.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 29, 2018, 07:17 AM
Rookie

Im just unsure if the MMX is worth it, is it good? Its def not cheap. I want a good experience for games, music and watching movies on it. The MMX 300 is on sale fom Amazon for $350 right now.
Old October 29, 2018, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

look at the new Audeze Mobius. wired/wireless headset that's planar magnetic, so it will play HiFi audio and apparently has some spectacular surround sound and some additional features to put you deeper into VR if you're using them with a VR system.
Old October 29, 2018, 07:51 AM
Rookie

Those audeze seem pretty cool. Going to have a closer look at the site.
Old October 29, 2018, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Currently my setup is a Sennheiser HD58X with a GSX1000 and a Snowball mic until I fork out for a Modmic.
Send me a PM. I've got a 'like new' modmic I can ship you cheap if you're interested. I decided to stick to a snowball as I use open speakers just as often as headphones.

@ OP - I'm also using a GSX1000, paired with Kanto YU5's and Sennheiser HD598's. Additionally I have a pair of ATH M50X's if I need headphones with a bit more boom. I LOVE the ATH's, but closed backs are rare to use these days for me as I like to be a bit more aware of my kid if I'm gaming.

Last edited by Caldezar; October 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post
Those audeze seem pretty cool. Going to have a closer look at the site.

HardOCP just posted a review of them, Kyle wasn't that happy with them. https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018...eadset_review/

I too use a GSX1000 with Massdrop AKG K7xx headphones ($200 US) and a Massdrop Minimic. The GSX1000 has great 7.1 emulation for gaming, I can't say anything about music or video listening as I don't do that on my desktop.
Old October 31, 2018, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

Hrm, this thread has me considering trying out a Sen GSX1000 on a system. Pretty happy with the various audio I have right now on my primary gaming setups, but one system has just an Astro A40 headset plugged into the Asus ROG MB sound. Might try a GSX1000 out with that.
Old October 31, 2018, 09:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The one thing I would advise, is that if you've never tried a decent set of open back headphones for PC gaming, see if you can find a way to try a set out before making a purchase. I'd never go back to closed headphones for PC again. Also, don't pay any attention to any "Gaming" features. A good set of headphones has 2 drivers and all of the processing should be done at the source, especially since it's a PC, rather than in the Amp/dac/cans. I'm currently running a Schiit Jotunheim and a set of the Massdrop Senn 6XXs and quite like them. Would have preferred HD660s, but couldn't justify the price difference to myself after trying both.

Tons of good options for headphones depending what you want to pay; Sennheiser HD598/600/660 and beyond, ATH AD500/700/900X, BD 880/990 pro, etc.
Lots of good amp/dacs too these days. GSX1000, AUne X1S, Magni/Modi, FiiO EK10/Q1, etc.
For a mic, the Blue Yeti and AT2020 are hard to beat for $/quality.

Any way you go, the markup on mid-higher end audio stuff is very high. Black Friday might be a good time to gear up. I picked up a Blue yeti with AC Origins for $99 last year.
Old November 1, 2018, 04:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
The one thing I would advise, is that if you've never tried a decent set of open back headphones for PC gaming, see if you can find a way to try a set out before making a purchase. I'd never go back to closed headphones for PC again. Also, don't pay any attention to any "Gaming" features. A good set of headphones has 2 drivers and all of the processing should be done at the source, especially since it's a PC, rather than in the Amp/dac/cans. I'm currently running a Schiit Jotunheim and a set of the Massdrop Senn 6XXs and quite like them. Would have preferred HD660s, but couldn't justify the price difference to myself after trying both.

Tons of good options for headphones depending what you want to pay; Sennheiser HD598/600/660 and beyond, ATH AD500/700/900X, BD 880/990 pro, etc.
Lots of good amp/dacs too these days. GSX1000, AUne X1S, Magni/Modi, FiiO EK10/Q1, etc.
For a mic, the Blue Yeti and AT2020 are hard to beat for $/quality.

Any way you go, the markup on mid-higher end audio stuff is very high. Black Friday might be a good time to gear up. I picked up a Blue yeti with AC Origins for $99 last year.
Call me crazy but I went with a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and a Mod Mic 5. Will also have to buy a dac/amp now as well I would think but yeah. I went a little crazy and should get them today and so excited.