Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2018, 06:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post
Call me crazy but I went with a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and a Mod Mic 5. Will also have to buy a dac/amp now as well I would think but yeah. I went a little crazy and should get them today and so excited.
Haha nice. I've heard they're good and I had a set of 880 pros a while back that were very comfortable. At 250 ohms, you'll be able to drive them reasonably well from almost anything which is a plus, but of course, you'll get better volume and response from a decent amp.
Old November 1, 2018, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those 1990's will sound great from everything I've heard, but an amp is almost a necessity to drive than properly. The GSX1000 isn't powerful enough for anything over 150 ohm, so I'd suggest looking into the Schiit stack for a DAC and amp.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 2, 2018, 03:16 AM
Top Prospect

My go to has been the Philips Shp9500s with a V-Moda clip in mic. The Philips Shp9500s are probably the most comfortable and best performing open backs in the sub 200$ price range, particularly with HM5 replacement pads (yes they are objectively more accurate than Senn HD 598's, with far less clamping force). I've tried Beyers, Akg's, Senns. The Senn HD 600's were slightly better than the Shp9500's, but very uncomfortable and not worth the continually inflating price. Beyers are horrible for basically anything, unless you enjoy objectively inaccurate V curve frequency reproduction (which you can also get with an eq), there is no reason to ever buy anything from Beyer Dynamic. Akg's are a nice middle ground between the Philips and high end Senns, slightly accentuated mids but nothing so bad as Beyer.

EDIT: Nevermind, the Shp9500s are no longer the phenomenal 60$ value they used to be. I see the op purchased a top of the line Beyer, possibly the only objectively decent set of cans I've seen from them, but there are plenty of better high end options, and plenty of comparable mid range options.

Last edited by mikjames; November 2, 2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old November 2, 2018, 05:22 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post
Call me crazy but I went with a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and a Mod Mic 5. Will also have to buy a dac/amp now as well I would think but yeah. I went a little crazy and should get them today and so excited.

I was just going to post the Antlion ModMic option for adding a mic to a headset that doesn't have one. So how is the ModMic5?

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%2Ck%3Aantlion
Old November 2, 2018, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikjames View Post
EDIT: Nevermind, the Shp9500s are no longer the phenomenal 60$ value they used to be. I see the op purchased a top of the line Beyer, possibly the only objectively decent set of cans I've seen from them, but there are plenty of better high end options, and plenty of comparable mid range options.
Yeah....no idea why Philips decided to discontinue those, seeing as they seem to be universally loved in the audiophile world. You can get them still for a somewhat decent price off of an Aliexpress seller though if you wanted a backup.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 4, 2018, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Yeah....no idea why Philips decided to discontinue those, seeing as they seem to be universally loved in the audiophile world. You can get them still for a somewhat decent price off of an Aliexpress seller though if you wanted a backup.
Probably because they were originally 200$ msrp. They put them on sale one too many times and they were no longer able to make a decent profit on them. It's one of those times I wish I had a time machine, so I could go back to when I wasn't broke and spend the $ on 100's of Philips Shp9500's, sell them on ebay for 120$ a piece
Old November 9, 2018, 05:49 AM
Rookie

Ended up returning the DT 1990s, they are great sounding headphones but fatigue you anything over 2-3hrs of listening. Got Sennheisers 660s.
Old December 3, 2018, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Hello there,

I'm also thinking about some kind of a gaming headset - maybe not super high-end but something better. I read and watched a lot of reviews but got confused more than before. What I'm looking for is a comfortable wired set with built-in mic and some kind of a control on a cable.

Right now have few options: Astro 40 TR + mixAMP, Corsair Revolver S, Plantronics RIG800 HD and Sennheiser Game Zero.
Old December 3, 2018, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikutix84 View Post
Hello there,

I'm also thinking about some kind of a gaming headset - maybe not super high-end but something better. I read and watched a lot of reviews but got confused more than before. What I'm looking for is a comfortable wired set with built-in mic and some kind of a control on a cable.

Right now have few options: Astro 40 TR + mixAMP, Corsair Revolver S, Plantronics RIG800 HD and Sennheiser Game Zero.
The game zero doesn't have a control on a cable, but according to the bapcsalescanada reddit Amazon has been shipping the newer model with a detachable cable and which is nice since you can
A) Replace a damaged cable
B) Not require a Y-cable for use with consoles, phones, etc.
I thought you get both a Y-ended 3.5mm and a single with the new rev, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

It's a quality headset with fantastic sound and you're actually getting sound designed by an *audio* company as opposed to a primarily peripheral company.
Old December 9, 2018, 06:25 AM
Rookie

I finally decided to purchase Steel Series Arctis Pro with game DAC :)